Dang...need more advise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a new bass, and who isn't :)? I like the super thin Ibanez necks, and I'm looking for about a 400-500 dollar range bass with a really thin, fast neck. That's all I want. I don't care if you like the company or not, I just want to knwo which companys have thin, fast necks. Am I the only one who likes these necks?

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Im totally with you.
    I love those necks on the 4-string Soungear prestige.
    [Homer sipmspon voice] oh baby, arggrrgrgrl. [/homer simpson voice]

You can get a Sound gear ( not the prestige) for $4-500
    I think.
  3. Absolutely, positively, without a doubt the thinnest, fastest neck I've ever played is the Cort Curbow 4 or 5. I had one and was astounded by the ease of play. Finally traded it in because at my size, the smaller body just wasn't a good fit.

The neck was maple/ebonal without any markers (very cool) and was nice and wide at the nut but not too much wider at the high end. Go to Mars or somehere and try one of these. It just might be what you're looking for. They are always under $500.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla. The definition of thin and fast.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Munji, I have a Pedulla(5) and an Ibanez(6), and while my Pedulla is undoubtedly a much nicer, better crafted bass, the neck is not as thin and fast as my Ibanez.

Brendan, in your price range(or maybe a little above it) you might check into a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bazz, this bass has a neck custom designed to Geddy's specs and is faster and thinner than any I have ever played, including the Ibanez Soundgear models.

The Fender is made in Japan, better fit 7 finish than Ibanez, usually goes new for $649 - $699, I've seen them used once or twice for $579 & $599.

I am an Ibanez defender in this world of Ibanez haters, but let me give you a word of advice about the lower priced Soundgears - they have very slim, fast necks, and light, easy to cuddle bodies, but make sure you are happy with the tone, or don't mind upgrading the electronics. The tone is kind of generic, although that can be corrected with soem tweaking at the amplifier.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If your on a budget than maybe an Ibanez Sr400 will suit your needs. Ive seen them going for $439 in Musicians Friend, so that mean you can probobly get one for around $400 maybe a little less if you negotiate good at your local music dealer. And if thats too much for you budget you can step into a Sr300 or one of the GSR models. Dean also makes a pretty slim neck on their bass. I believe its the Edge 4 by Dean. Those will run for $339.99 in Musicians Friend, so at your local music dealer you should be able to get it for a little bit less. (at least I know you can get them for less than that here)
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am a true blue Ibanez player, you can get an SR400 in you price range quite easily. As eloquently stated above, you will have to do some amp tweeking, other than that....PLAY ON!!!!!