1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dang, Sweetwater charging sales tax now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mmbongo, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I couldn't agree more. It was getting unbearable for me to listen to smaller Ma and Pa stores continue to gripe about the unfairness of the online business model. The one legitimate complaint they had was the sales tax differential, 6-7% is a big difference on an item that includes free shipping. So to all you Brick and Morter stores, the playing field has been substantially leveled. Get back in the game and offer an alternative to on-line purchasing. <end rant>. :)

StrangerBasses likes this.
  2. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    I buy online to save, especially on taxes. Guess I will start going back to brick and mortar stores.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I often do too. Negotiations generally go well.

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Be careful guys. A lot of this is getting political.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Be careful about getting into politics here.

And starting teacher salary in NC is over fifty grand. So be careful what you believe.

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I believe in Santa...

7. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Indeed. NEA publishes the most up-to-date nationwide data rankings and the average salary for teachers in NC for 2017 was $49,970, up from $47,741 in 2016. Starting salary would be considerably lower.

http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/180413-Rankings_And_Estimates_Report_2018.pdf

Otto

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    GregC likes this.
  8. My wife works In public education. So maybe you shouldn’t believe what you hear. We are the 4th LOWEST when it comes to teacher pay. The deal in the 50,000 is they are claiming like 20,000 of benefits as pay, it’s not. Most teachers here actually make 30k, and their health insurance for example is forced. They aren’t allowed to opt out to get health insurance on their own. Even if they get coverage somewhere else they still get charged for Red Cross blue shield.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    GregC and wncBass like this.
  9. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Not sure where you get your info, but that's not even close to true.

10. JDMcDorce

JDMcDorce Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sanford, MI
    Location factors heavily into whether it will ultimately make a difference. In my area, the "Mom and Pop" shops are largely gone, due to decreased demand, local economic conditions over the past few decades, curious business models, and not being able to compete with GC in the local market. One of the few independents that remain in my area is geared toward Ibanez, Ltd, and Hamer six-bangers paired with Vox, Peavey, and Blackstar amps and lets just say that I am not fond of the "customer experience" at the local GC. I've never noticed Sweetwater undercutting the local sellers on pricing, it's been more of a case of selection, availability, and, to be blunt, they're not GC (noting that I still order online from GC on occasion when there is something I want that Sweetwater doesn't carry).

While I will continue to cherish fond memories of local establishments like Bay Music and Mid-Michigan Music, their departures from the local market had nothing to do with the former lack of sales tax at point of sale for items ordered from Sweetwater.

11. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Somebody who knows what they are talking about, nice!

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Remember "MIDI To Go"? Lol

Most independent music stores are unable to carry the big brand names like Fender and Gibson because they have to invest hundreds of thousands of inventory just for the "privilege" of carrying said brand names. That's why my guitarist who owned a small shop in the Thumb had to retire, couldn't compete with Guitar Center anymore. The whole sales tax issue wouldn't have helped.

JDMcDorce likes this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Comparing one group's total benefit package to other people's base salary is a common tactic for those with an agenda.

GregC, Nephilymbass and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This is the main reason I steer clear of polls...

... the Swedes have always been good to me, though.

15. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Oh yeah, I'm well aware they're related. MF never had a physical presence in my state, as opposed to GC 2mi from my house.

16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The point is, you’re not really “getting back” at GC by ordering from MF; order online from either(as opposed to buying retail at a brick&mortar GC), and the money, in all scenarios, eventually ends up in the same pocket. The merchandise from either gets shipped from the same warehouse in Kansas City. By using the MF name, as well as Music 123 and Woodwind & Brass, online, they’ve created the illusion of competition.

17. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    My idea in ordering from the MF arm was to avoid the sales tax added on to my order, which is a moot point now. Plus, I like dealing with MF anyway. I have a gear guy I know there that always hooks me up. So, all's good either way. :)

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My mother is a retired teacher. My first wife is a teacher. I spent my childhood stapling things to bulletin boards in classrooms while other kids went out to play.

And here ya go......

Teacher salary (and benefits) average is supposed to hit $55K by 2020.

Bu the way, ALL of our salaries are figured as gross before benefits and other withdrawals. Teachers (and other state employees) aren't "special" in that regard either. All state employees, all employees of my company, my wife's salary, my neighbor's UPS salary, my brother's medical project manager salary are ALL quoted as gross pay. Whatever benefits are taken out afterwards aren't factored into your salary reporting no matter where you work. Nobody's salary is reported as "net after benefits" or "take home salary". That's just silly.

Now, I know PLENTY of people with four-year degrees who don't make $50K. AND they have to work all 12 months without a zillion holidays and most have to work some weekends and nights.

So, while I appreciate the plight of educators, and I love my girls' teachers, I'm not exactly crying for them. Ask a policeman, an EMT, and a fireman about it.

Also, that $51K salary and benefits for 9 months of work would translate to just under $70 for 12 months of work.

My wife is working tonight on Christmas Eve. I worked July 4th, New Years Day, Martin Luther King day, Good Friday, every single snow day, flood day, hurricane day, and only have today and tomorrow off for the holidays (not two weeks or more). Spring break? Not for most of us. Administrative days when people all go away and let me catch up my paperwork? Ha! Fat chance of that ever happening.

I know what a teacher's life looks like. I grew up in ot and was married to it. (Heck, I pretty much did my first wife's National Board Certification for her.)

Do I think you guys could make more? Sure. Am I ready to fork over a few thousand more per year myself to make it happen? Nope. Not even close. And that's what it would take for huge raises here in NC. Nearly every working person, and certainly those of us in higher brackets, would have to pay thousands more.

I did make a huge error. I meant average salary in my initial post, not starting.

Short version is that $50K (gross) I'm NC doesn't qualify anyone for food stamps unless they are a single parent with several kids. If that salary did qualify you, most nurses, dental assistants, secretaries, policemen, military families and everyone working in retail anywhere would be on food stamps.

*sigh*

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, taxes on bought goods and services. You gotta pay them. Nothing to see here. They aren't punishing us now. They were just letting us slide before.

Maybe with the new-found millions and millions of dollars in NC sales tax revenues from online sales, we can pay teachers more money. ;)

Nothing is free.

And this isn't politics. It's just a discussion of salaries. Not everything is politics.

19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You're a bit off base here with the generalization, Two. My gross salary includes MY contributions to my health insurance and MY contributions to Ohio state teachers retirement system. It does not include my schools contribution to either of those. Does NC do it so much different?

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Any discussion of salary in a job application/interview or review process, or in a review of industries in publications or by vocational folks/guidance counselors does NOT include benefits IME—unless there is an added phrase about including benefits. Sure, the CFO has to consider the total cost of adding headcount. But in the public discourse, this just doesn’t happen on a general basis. Adding teachers’ benefits to their salaries without mentioning that fact is a recent bit of sophistry started by those who want everyone to think teachers are making more than they really are.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.