1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dang, Sweetwater charging sales tax now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mmbongo, Dec 22, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I get paid a salary. Then I have to contribute to my own benefits AFTER that salary. Everyone I know (unless they have a sweet gig and their benefits are completely paid for) is calculated the same way. My UPS neighbor gets a salary. After that he has to co tribute to his benefits after that. My brother hovers in this weird private/government job.... thing. He gets a state salary. Then he has to contribute to his benefits. I don't understand why this happening to teachers is somehow sinister.

Ekulati likes this.
  2. you can talk fake numbers all day. It doesn’t make them real. My wife is the school counselor. She has a masters degree and makes more than EVERY teacher at her school, even more than the vice principals yet she doesn’t make what you say is “average” teacher pay. Maybe it’s because it’s been a few years since your mother retired so she wasn’t subject to the nearly decade worth of pay freezes. I know teachers who have 15-20 years in that don’t make what the pay scale posted online says they would make in half that long. Either way I’m not trying to argue with you it’s just kind of funny because this is a bass gear website and if my wife made what you say she makes I’d have a damn Fodera lol

wncBass and Ekulati like this.
  3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Our local high school band teacher has to work part time at a retail store to make ends meet apparently. I believe she has her Masters in Education and has been teaching there for at least 20 years.

4. Furutan

Furutan

Sep 5, 2018
    The law is that they must charge sales tax if they have a facility in the same state as a customer. Apparently Sweetwater has recently opened a regional warehouse or retail store in your state.

Time to switch to Musician's Friend. Besides, MF has better prices and even when they're not running a monthly special, you can still talk them into a discount with most items. Plus you accrue points that apply to future purchases.

LBS-bass likes this.
  5. JDMcDorce

JDMcDorce Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sanford, MI
    nbsipics likes this.
  6. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    :confused::unsure::unsure::unsure:
    Thanks for the info. Looks like NC is off my list of states I was looking to retire to.:unsure:

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Musicians Friend now charges sales tax as well.

8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Hmmm.... I just placed an order from Sweetwater for a Tascam DR-5 and was not charged sales tax. I'm in California.

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    This is true and it applies to Amazon and other online retailers, as well. If a company has a physical presence in your state, you will be charged tax.

10. JDMcDorce

JDMcDorce Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Sanford, MI
    California has a slightly different spin on things in comparison to other states: Generally, remote sales by out-of-state retailers to California customers, whether made over the Internet, by telephone, or mail order, take place outside of California because the property is delivered to a common carrier outside the state for shipment into California, and are, therefore, not subject to sales tax. (ref: Publication 109 - Internet Sales) California still expects you to pay the tax.

11. I can agree with you on most except big farm and ethanol being subsidized.

40Hz likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t necessarily agree with those either. I just threw thing in for the people who don’t believe in the more humanistic things that traditionally get paid for by governments.

My point was that we all receive something for the taxes we pay. Maybe we don’t want or agree with what we get for our money - or more often with what somebody else is getting if you listen to some people. But the fact remains we’re all still getting something in return for taxes.

Not the most efficient or equitable way to fund government maybe. But it’s far better than any rational alternative that’s been proposed so far.

Haroldo and fdeck like this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    December 16, 1773 it was a pretty big deal, and still is to a lot of people.

14. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    Amazon did a 180 degree turn on the state sales tax issue a few years back. One of the main reasons they did this was they knew hundreds of thousands of small retailers would not be able to comply with the paperwork involved with obtaining permits to collect sales tax, collecting the sales tax, and submitting the payment and tax forms to 50 different states.

So Amazon went lobbying Congress "against" collecting taxes on internet purchases to lobbying Congress for "mandatory" collection for all retailers large and small. Other than the fact that Amazon was building warehouses in several states and would now be liable to collect in those states, a large part of their plan was to coerce small businesses to be Amazon partners. Amazon partners pay a percentage of every sale to Amazon and Amazon would deal with the sales tax collection.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No one wants to pay tax. Everybody wants and needs what taxes pay for.

16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Good news is if you do under a million in sales you'll be exempt from collecting. I wonder how many small businesses will be doing $999,999 in sales, then going to Bermuda for the rest of the year.

Christopher DBG likes this.
  17. Christopher DBG

Christopher DBG Commercial User

May 18, 2015
    Westerly, RI
    Luthier/Owner, Christopher Bass Guitar
    Yeah, fortunately or unfortunately I don't need to worry about booking a flight yet!

TheReceder likes this.
  18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Careful... that could lead into what we don't want our taxes to pay for. Like the $30,000 recreation of hamlet, "Doggie Hamlet". Yes... we paid for hamlet, with a cast of dogs.

mmon77 likes this.
  19. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I believe @Nephilymbass is saying that when quoting the 55k figure, they are using the teachers salary + whatever the state/whoever pays towards the cost of their benefits, and that number adds up to 55k. Not the portion that the teacher pays for their own healthcare.

For example, my employer, on our benefits website has a figure listed that they call "Total Compensation". That figure is my salary + the cost my employer pays towards my health plan + their contribution match to my 401K + their portion of Social Security / Medicare. While it may be interesting to see what they pay besides my salary, to use that value in a comparison of salaries would not be comparing apples to apples.

This is what I was saying above, and yes, it's not a fair comparison.

Nephilymbass, GregC and gln1955 like this.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Oh come on, we all know that we can find some stupid things in there, just as I could find something important to you, but not important to me, and vice versa. Just like someone here wants to buy his/her 25th bass. The fact is, taxes are necessary. The fact is, many people here do not pay their taxes (how many people here do you think report all their cash gig income, or pay use taxes?). If you have an issue, you have someone to contact (as I be careful not to introduce a verboten topic into the thread).