1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dang! This Rickenbacker 4003S sounds like a Jazz slapped!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 24, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Man, I enjoyed this Ric! My first good bass was a 4000 (bridge only.) I always thought it had a good slap tone, soloing the bridge confirmed my memories about how sweet that tone was.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Apparently you never heard the "can't slap a Ric" nonsense, shame on you! I slapped mine until the frets were toast.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I slapped a Ric 4000 for eight years.:bassist:

4. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    I auditioned and got the gig with a funk band in 1985 slapping on a Rick. They looked at me like I was crazy until they heard it. It worked because I had absolutely no idea I wasn't supposed to do that.

ajkula66, JMacBass65, andruca and 2 others like this.
  5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Back to re-education camp for all of you! :D

superdick2112 likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It was really eye-opening to really dig in on that 4003s. I bought my old Rickenbacker with money I earned washing dishes in Atlanta before I went off to college. I did not have money to buy another bass, and I used it for everything. It was powerful realizing just how good my first choice was. Yes, I have some GAS, but it is wild realizing what I had when assuming everything was better.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I paid $450 with HSC in 1978, a Jetglo, and my pride and joy. Every penny earned mowing lawns, housepainting, birthday and Christmas money. I played it through my first couple years of college, then stupidly sold it for reasons I can't even remember. Here I am building one to replace it all these years later, like running into your first girlfriend and realizing she's still beautiful. Not the most ergonomic of basses, but worth any minor adjustment for that killer tone.

superdick2112 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Rickenbacker Enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Go to 6:50....

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bought my 4000 working in a restaurant the summer before I went to college. I kept it nearly eight years.

10. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Doc - do I see a 4003 in your future? ;)

fakeneckplate'65 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I felt like I was going back home when I picked up that 4003s. I love the tone, and I love that it has no binding and plain dot markers. It really reminds me of my old 4000. Of course, the sound was great. The price was pretty good too. I certainly would consider buying one again.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To be honest, I would love to buy that 4003s I played, but what has hit me more than anything else is that I played that bass for years, assuming that a Fender, Music Man, Alembic, or Steinberger would be better. The funny thing is that the only time anyone ever had a problem with the way my bass sounded was during a recording session. I plugged a phaser turned all the way down as a noise gate, and we finished our demo just fine. I spent so much time assuming that if I got a bass with active electronics, a two octave neck, carbon fiber, or if it just said Fender, it would be better than what I had. It is humbling to realize that I did not appreciate what a good bass I already owned.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  13. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    I bought my first 4001 with case at E U Wurlitzers in Boston in 1977, think I paid around the same as you, was a mapleglo, many Rics later I have a 79 4001 mapleglo (and 85 4003FL mapleglo) yes things come back around,going to bring the fretted one tonight, just threw some good Labella flatwounds on it, gonna see how it sounds tonight.

14. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    I love those new S's, I was thinking of picking one up, but if I bought everything I wanted I'd be in the poorhouse. The 4001 plays and looks nice.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know what you mean about going broke if you got all you want. I think I will get a 4003s because I loved the feeling I got when I played it. I am not in rush to get it. Playing that bass really drove home the lesson that way too often I have rushed off to buy something when I already had what I needed. In that spirit, I will not have a GAS fit for that Rickenbacker because GAS fits are what caused me let my original Ric go.;)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    wmmj and bobyoung53 like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been thinking about this Rickenbacker 4003s, and I will buy one even if I have trade away all of my basses except my DJ5.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They say you can't Go Home, and of course it's true. A Ric 4001 was my first bass, and there is no way to recapture that first obsession, but I'll try anyway! Nearly done building a replica of that first bass, a nostalgia trip and a new hobby in Luthiery combined. I've spent more on parts and tools than I would have just buying a new 4003, but then it wouldn't feel like mine. I could be happy with three basses, the Ric, my Steinberger, my Jazz, and my G&L..... wait, that's Four basses. I could be happy with.......

Dr. Cheese and superdick2112 like this.
  18. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Ooo, take notes!
    They may come in handy someday when I buy a '72 4001 & restore it.
    I'm thinking I'll have it finished in Burgundy.... drool

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  19. Hahahaha..this guy is hilarious..and a good player

20. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    He thumped in a keys other than E... He's good.

superdick2112 and JMacBass65 like this.