Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dang...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, May 12, 2001.

1. well i found the nicest feeling bass i had ever played at a store here, i phoned the guy i know who works there the next day......550$, i couldnt believe it......it was used and had the nicest sounding feeling everything ever!! haha, i loved it, so today i convinced my parents to take me down, trade in my bass and get this one pretty dang cheap, if not a flat trade......

turns out the bass is worth way more then he thought, its a fender mex. deluxe, with probably a vintage neck on it.....plus the guy who works there is going to buy it...which is why i think the price might have changed....oh well.....i geuss its back to looking...to bad cause this was the nicest bass i had played yet....AND I COULD OF AFFORDED IT!!!!

dang!

peace

2. Bummer. I have long been of the opinion that once a trade-in is on the floor, it should be off limits to employees of the store. I don't mind if they get a crack at it before the rest of us, but once it "passes waivers", it is ours .

3. yeah i really wish i could of had it man, it is a major bummer :(

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    There's a french proverb saying : "The shoe-makers are most badly fitted" (hum ... fuzzy translating ... )
    It doesn't seem to apply to guys employed in music stores, does it ?

Too bad, man.

5. yeah i'm not sure whether this is the case or not though, cause the guy is really nice and all, he usually gives me good deals and what ever..so not sure

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the rules of shopping is that you should be "ready"... ready top buy something that you fall in love with or at the least tie it uop with a small refundable deposit.

There's something to be said for giving it a day or so and going back to see if it was just "the moment" or if in fact you really did love it. I recommend this for new or easy to find gear. OTOH you won't find another bass like the one you described and that's why you need to be ready to act. People realize the price is too low, an employee tells a friend or favorite customer about it, anything could happen.

When I found my Surine at GC marked ridiculously low I didn't let it out of my sight until I struck a deal. I was told that someone else was "interested" in it... I told them that I was "here";). A bassist who worked in the store hadn't even noticed it or it's price. A few calls were made, no one had made a firm commitment. It had just come out that morning. If I wasn't ready to do something then I seriously doubt it would have lasted until lunchtime.

7. unfortunatly i have no money, it was spur of the moment desicion to go even! me and my friends were on our first bike ride of the year, and we decided to take a couple hours and go down, thats when i saw it, as soon as i could convince my parents, which was extremelly difficult, it was to late...

i hope i can find a new bass that i love soon..

9. I meant to post: Haste makes waste,

or

He who hesitates is lost.

Mike J.

10. i think i did jump on it as fast as i could is the sad thing!!! :( oh well, hopefully i'l;l win the G&L from bass player !!! :)

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not to get too philosophical but I always believe things happen for a reason. There's probably an even nicer bass right around the corner for you. Good luck.

"Pounce" is probably a much better term, Mike:D

I don't buy gear as often as it seems but I know when I've found something I really like (and know how seldom that happens) and know how to talk myself down from stuff I don't really "need".

12. I'm with Brad on this. It was not meant to be, there will be something you like better in your future. Hey guys, dont be too hard on music store employees (except maybe Guitar Centre!). I'm one myself, and it's not the rosie picture you imagine. I've been in it for 7 years now, and I have yet to be offered a nice preCBS Jazz bass, at any price, let alone a steal!

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Other fishies in the sea. I was on eBay last night. I would love to get in on one of those deals. I don't trust buying off of it though. I also made a promise to myself not to impulse-buy basses. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. They always set you up in a nice room on the best amp and you sound and feel great. Then you get it home and after a few weeks, it's just not quite the same.

Kind of like waking up next to that beast you thought was Alyssa Milano when you met her at the bar. Not quite the same after you smeared all of her make-up off on to your mattress

14. haha thanks guys, yeah i hope i can find something i really like soon, it'll probably be a while, part of the sweet deal with this bass, was the amazing price, cause i could of afforded it!! he said it was gonna be 550$ oh well, hope you guys are right about me finding something soon!

peace