Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Angelo's Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cossiemon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi,

I just heard a song on the radio by D'Angelo (i think that's how you spell it) called "Chicken Grease", i really like it and was wondering if anyone knows who his bass player is? And if anyone knows (and more importantly share with me) the notes - cos asking for tab is frowned upon! for the song?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thats Pino Paladino on Bass.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually it's Pino Pa<b>ll</b>adino - I'm not smart-a$$ing, just a correction in case you want to do a google search on him.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :(

5. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    i found a friend who has the album with Chicken Grease on it - Voodoo. Listened to so more stuff, i really really like that kinda music!

Thanks for the name

6. that is a downright ILL line. I love that song. Pino was on the cover of BasPlayer mag a few months back and that song was in there along with a few others. I can remember the montgh though

7. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    I read in an article on the net that Pino down tunes his E string to a C#. I bought the cd, and i've been listening to that song almost non stop - i'm making a little progress working it out (snail's pace though!).

It is a excellent bass line, has Pino played on another albums?

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    LOL - Pino has been massively prolific for almost 20 years.

Starting out with 80s pop stars like Paul Young, Nick Heyward, Jools Holland, Gary Newman etc. then lots of lots of singer/songwriter sessions - Oleta Adams, Michael McDonald, Robbie Macintosh, Julia Fordham, Don Henley...

now, he's the bass-don of the NYC hip-hop scene - D'Angelo, Eryka Badu, Moorcheeba, Musiq Soulchild etc. etc. he's THE MAN there right now. Probably best to do a search on him at www.allmusic.com or something like that if you want a definitive list - he's done LOADS of stuff...

he's currently touring with the Who as Entwistle's replacement.

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    20 years?! Ooops

Ah well, learn something new every day! Thanks