DANGER! if u read this, u MUST reply!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rapedfaith, Jan 3, 2001.

1. rapedfaith

Nov 27, 2000
    hey, im in to black/death metal alotttttt.n the bands i listen play verrrrry veryyyyy fast music. im not that big of a genius on the bass so its pretty hard keepin up w/ the song. also i pick n most of theese band bassists use picks. i don wana use a pik so plz got any advice o suggestions so that i could play faster?
  2. practice makes perfect, whats the problem playing fast or not being able to play fast for a long time? or maybe playing to sloppy?

dictionary can you spell it?
  3. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    If you're pounding out a constant stream of 32nd notes, an easy method is to grab a thin nylon pick. (Dunlop .38 nylon) You can upstroke/downstroke extremely fast because the pick head flexes. Otherwise, just practice.
  4. rapedfaith

Nov 27, 2000
    thnx for both of da replies. the problem is playng fast and i dont feel umcomfortable playin with a pick. i guess ill hav to live with it. and this is 2001 so spellin don count.lol.
  5. you could try using your fingers, maybe more than 2. steve harris from iron maiden got some pumping speed with 2.

if you go to http://www.harmony-central.com under the bass section there is a article about playing with 4 fingers
  6. Ain't nothin wrong with playin with a pick. If that's what fits your style, and your comfortable with it, go for it!
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

DANGER! if u read this, u MUST reply!!!

Shan't! :rolleyes:
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

R-Faith. You say you don't want to use a pick. Is there any particular reason why? Also, you say you can't maintain the needed speed. How well do you know the songs? Often, being unsure of what comes next in the song causes pauses of microseconds while you try to remeber what to do next. One or two slight hesitations and you will be behind the band.

One of the best ways to speed up is to slow down by working with a metronome, playing the song at much slower than normal speed. When you do well at the reduced speed, gradually speed up a notch at a time until you are at the song's true speed and can play that well.

Also be willing to practice long and hard when you are alone. That is the only way to build speed over time. One other thing, you might have some issues with your fretting hand technique. You talk as if your picking hand is slowing you down, but poor technique on the fretting hand can slow you down every bit as much. Can a guitarist in your band look at your technique and help you out? Evidently they play fast enough, so they might have some good advice for you.

Jason Oldsted
  9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    i know what you mean,i have the same problem.i play in a techno thrash band and we need speed,though not as much as most of tha death/black bands.i use my 2 fingers...i try to practise playing with four fingers for 6 months now...well i can play pretty ok now with 4,but the problem is i still play faster with two!i will continue practising 4 fingers and i believe that sooner or later i will achieve greater speed than with two,but it takes a lot of time!i recently started using a pick too...i used to not like picks but now i see they're not thaaat bad:)
    my advice is:continue playing with a pick when playing with the group,but if you are DEFINETELY sure you want to continue with fingers,practise a lot this way when you play alone...mind you,it will take a lot of time and effort!
    best of luck!
  10. rapedfaith

Nov 27, 2000
    i neva said playin w/ a pik is wrong o bad. its just that i like playin with my own fingers. makes me feel onw with the strnings i guess. besides steve haris <iron maiden> is my icon and he plays fast w/ his fingers. hey jason thnx for da tip. sounds like a good idea. looks like ill be a needin alota practise den. n not to mention alota time. thnx guys
  11. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    okay... I'm replying.. umm.. right now I'm studying Bach's Mass in B-minor, and i'm finding that I'm not really cut out for choral work.. perhaps you aren't cut out for super-fast stuff? maybe your talen lies in musical "spaces".
  12. ok... u said I must reply...

but I haven´t much to say in my reply...

but once there was a rabbit that ate a duck... then the rabbit regret it and jumped over the fence and onto the road. It stood on the road for some time and then a car came against it.. The driver of the car saw the rabbit and drove out of the road and into some pit and died when he was trying to avoid crashing the rabbit... and it worked! he didn´t hit the poor little rabbit.

Then a sheep jumped over the fence too. It had eaten a whale! and regret it just like the rabbit regret eating that duck. But they decided it wouldn´t do anyone good to just stand there on the road so they went off to the grass on the other side of the road and have 7 cute little babies...

now, what have you learned from this story? :) You have to think hard about it!

ps. (c) The_Bass 2000, all rights reserved.
    All characters, fences, cars, roads, and more are all made up by the writer. Any similar things in real life is just simple coincidence. No animals were harmed in the making of this story.

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The_Bass-What a great story..kinda sad...
    But anyway...rapedfaith, you should try to eat chicken so your hands will be greasy, and THEN try to play fast
  14. Well thought out title...harhar

El queso es en mi pantalones.
  15. Ok, I'm replying too. And with me being Mr. Smarty pants and all, all I can say is...

16. rapedfaith

Nov 27, 2000
    wow. thnx for the greasy chiken story n the duck crossing the street sotry now im a damn fast bass player. thnx u guys. i could have neva done with out u. don kno hwo to thank u guys. any more of these great life lessons plz let me know cos wiht out those my life isnt complete. n all u guys who really gave me advice bout the playing fast thing wat were u thinking????????? u guys really thote that i will learn anything from it? SARCASM...... what a word!
  17. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    :D Hey hey, ya spelled SARCASM right!! Nah, I'm just picking and I figured I had to reply so you might as well not get a useful reply, I'm guessing just as everyone else figured.

Truthfully, I used to be a picker and still am when I must. It was fun playing heavy metal with a pick and going back and reworking it with fingers. Really helped me out in the long run. Picking isn't sinful, but I kind of feel as you do. It's great to be able to be one with the strings and feel everything. I forget who, but someone's sig stated, "I only have two tone controls and they're at the end of my arms." I totally agree. Peace.

PS- Damn! I contradicted myself and gave a useful (well, I think so) reply. C'est la vie, vive la bass!! :) (I speak coon-ass, not real French, so don't hit me up for that.) :)
  18. i guess that answers the What Would Jaco Do question.
  19. b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    All the stuff about working on good technique goes double for me , also......
    Maybe you try thinking about your bass lines differently. As someone said ," If you're a bassist , it's not how fast
    you play - but how fast you think ." If your guitarist(s) and drummer are going 90 miles -an-hour , maybe you should try playing patterns or walking lines instead of harmony. Know what I mean ? Try it .

20. I believe that if a guitarist or a drumemer is driving at 90 miles an hour then it won´t do much good to walk... :p

you would be WAY behind! :D