Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dangerous dogs - question for people who know dogs...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My ex wife has a dog that has me worried. The dog is a 2 year old female Rot and lives with the ex and my two young children. I was visiting them this weekend and the dog got out - off her chain during the middle of the night. There doesn’t seem to be any way to keep her on her chain (she was in a full nylon harness, apparently she had weakened it enough that she could bust right through) We were awakened during the night to the sound of the dog mauling the cats - she killed one of the cats and seriously put the hurt on the other before we got there. The next day, the dog went back out on to the chain, this time wearing two of these nylon harnesses to attach her to her chain and she seems secure - for now. I watched the dog with a more a critical eye for the rest of the weekend. A guy rode by on a bike and the dog ran like heck to the end of her chain, not growling or barking but snorting like a bull. She was pulling like heck at the end of her heavy duty cable and she is a seriously powerful dog. Apparently she “doesn’t like bikes” She reacts about the same when people walk by with their dogs. It seemed about like the way she had reacted to the cats the day before. The ex told me that the last time she got off her chain she was attacking her goat and in her opinion, the dog was going to kill the goat. As far as we know this is the first time that she has killed anything, but we do know that she has now tasted blood and then went for more. My opinion is that she needs to go and I don’t care where, even though this dog is my children’s pet. I don’t think that she’d hurt my kids, but I do think this is a dangerous situation and a huge liability. I’d love some feed back from people who know more about dogs. Is there anything to the old belief that an animal who has hunted and killed, tasted blood, will always want more - should this dog be put down? Or would she be all right in the right kind of home (one with no cats!) Or would the dog be fine with a little extra training - or am I just over reacting, is this just a normal part of pet ownership?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would recomend to lose the dog. Kids like to pet dogs, and I have seen the nicest dogs bite at kids who mess with them too much. Kids are often in their own world, and will not realize they are pushing the dog to far (i.e. poking it in the eye), and even a well tempered dog could snap. If I was in your place I would try to get them to get a new dog for the sake of safety. Not to metion avoiding any possible lawsuits involving friends of children that could also get attacked. Hate to recommend the death of an animal, but I don't think you are over reacting at all.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would really hate so see a kid get seriously hurt by a dog, some injuries are forever. I couldnt keep a dog around like that if I had kids, the risk is way to high, especially if the dog has a history.

4. If the dog has killed another pet, it needs to be put down, now. Your ex-wife will be criminally and civilly liable if the dog breaks loose and mauls a neighborhood child on a bicycle.

5. I wouldnt be too worried about the safety of your kids. You just have to get to know the dog and show it that your friendly. Dont look into its eyes and aproach it slowly and show the back of your hand. Give it some dog cookies at times too. And have your kids be gentle with the dog at first. If they roughouse with the dog it may get carried away and hurt them. So unless the dog was rasied to be a guard dog then Just be nice and it will come around. Luckily ive had very gentle dogs ( A yellow lab, a Burmese Mountain dog, A Collie), but at the end of my block is a Rot thats about the same as the one you explained. when people walk by it snorts and growls. But ive gotten to know it and it lets me pet him. JUst be nice.

6. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    there is a reason Rotts are banned in alot of places. That one sounds visious and needs to be put down!:eek: My wife workes at the humane society and they do not adopt out rotts and pitts! If one of those breeds is not claimed its dead!

7. It's hard for a 5-year-old kid riding by on his bike to get to know a dog if it's broken off its leash and is biting off the kid's genitalia.

Dog socialization is a very complicated thing--my folks' schnauzer, certainly not a guard dog, was poorly socialized for the first year of his life (never saw people other than us, let alone other dogs), with the result that he's extremely ill-tempered and has bitten strangers on occasions. We're always one incident away from having him put down, but he's getting old (10 next month) so he'll probably pass on before he draws blood.

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    My view is to get it a muzzle and whenever its outide or 'on its chain', muzzle it. It'll soon relize the link between chain = muzzle, and will hopefully become more passive (the muzzle will sap its self esteem). As it becomes less active, gradually take the muzzle off for short periods and pay it attention, however if it becomes nasty/active, muzzle it straight away. Again, it'll make the link between bad=muzzle, and should in a short timespan do something about it.

Also, CLEARLY DISPLAY signs warning that it can be dangerous, for legal and moral reasons.

PS- have you had it 'castrated' (but the girl version), maybe it's just on heat?.

9. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I know of two real life experiences:

My girlfriend's friend own a rw. Her daughter and friends were playing with the dog and the dog bit the friend. The friend was tugging on the dog, but the girl had to get stiches on her face and now needs physical therapy. The mom is now in deep s, as she is getting sued. I am sure that will go over big in court. ("She was tugging on the dog" defense versus pictures of dog bites on the face).

Another friend has an rw and he got loose. He killed a cat and the owner was charged and fined.

I am incredulous that you have to think about this. It is a dog, but think it is a powerful and dangerous dog. It has demonstrated both ability to escape and attack. If not for the safety of your kid, you need to do something for the safety of your neighborhood. And if the dog does something, you will get sued and have a lien to contend with.

The risk is small, but the outcome is catastrophic:
    - mauled daughter
    - mauled neighbor
    - lien on your property

And why do you assume this liability? So you can commune with a crazy dog?

Kill the dog, get a new one and socialize it. Or better yet, don't get a new dog - why are you raising crazy dogs? The dog you have now is a huge problem.

BTW, I believe in Vermont it is law that a "deer dog" must be put down.

rs

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

My question is this: How well can a dog be socialized if its tied up??

This has been something that has been proven to be problem time and time again. Get a dog kennel or keep it inside.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, it sounds like we're all basically of the same opinion - The problem right now is that this is my ex-wife's dog. While she'll admit that she needs to get rid of the dog soon, she does not want to have her destroyed - she wants to find somebody who wants the dog. She says "...maybe theres a single guy way out in the country with no cats who wants a guard dog..."
    I don't really know that there is a good/safe place for this dog to live and I doubt she's going to find anyone to take the dog off of her hands, which will mean that she continues to keep this dog while she looks for a home for it.
    I agree with Peter, this animal should be destroyed imediately. I have a good relationship with my exwife, but I only have so much influence. If she won't have this animal put down, do I have any recourse? If I were to make an anonymous report to the athorities about the cat killing, would they the do anything about it? Would the owner get in trouble? Should I tell her and the kids that I've found the dog a perfectly appropriate home, far away - too far to ever visit...then take the dog to "take her to her new owners"...

FWIW - This is a beautiful dog who seems to basically have a good heart - she was poorly raised. They got her as a pup, then their living situation changed and the dog stayed with some friends of hers who allowed the dog to live in a large fenced in area and gave her food. The ex visited occasionally but really nobody spent any time with this dog - she will come to her master (my ex) when called and she's okay about about not jumping up on people to play (she needs reminded) but that's the extent of her obedience - it's really sad...it's not the dogs fault, she really doesn't know any better. :(

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

If its your ex wifes dog, why are you watching it. :confused:

Rotties and other big muscular dogs(Pit bulls, Doberman etc) need training and hands on obedience training and rearing. They arent the kind of dog just to tie up and leave alone.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I would contact the humane society or equivalent. Give them the history and let them decide if its a good idea to try to introduce it to another family.

Also I would make a donation when doing so. It is there bill to put it down and it would unethical to do otherwise.

Recourse- Yes you can contact animal control or police dept. let them know the situation. They more than likely will fine or at least pressure your ex into destroyung the animal.

14. Creepy, I know it's not the dog's fault...but still, pets are bred to be companions to humans, and when they can't be trusted in that role, they need to be killed in as humane a fashion as possible, no matter how beautiful they are.

I really hope that this can serve as a lesson to people to think twice before getting a big, powerful dog. They need enormous amounts of attention throughout their lives and modern lifestyles are at odds with that.

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you for thge input, but Please note - this is NOT my dog. My exwife is the owner/keeper of this dog. I am trying to figure out what I can do to protect my children. (and their mother) If it were up to me the dog would already be dead.

16. Here's an idea:

If you've got the scratch, offer to get a new dog for your wife and kids--something smaller and more child-friendly like a collie or a beagle--in exchange for having the rottweiler removed from her home (irrespective of her final destination :( ). Is your wife's living situation somewhat more stable now? Do the covenants in her neighborhood allow for the construction of a dog run?

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sometimes, due to our geographical seperation and transportation issues, it is easier for me to stay at my childrens home for a weekend visit than to have them come stay at my home.

18. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Hello, Creepy.

Please pardon my acerbity.

RS

19. I'm gunna second the horny thang, I often hear dogs going wild when they are horny..

20. Wait, wait, wait...

She has a goat?
    In the city?