Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by marcinkus, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Is it dangerous to remove ALL the strings from my bass? I have to work on the PUs and the electronics, and the only way to do it is to remove all the strings... Will my bass neck suffer?
  2. Although there have been other threads on Talkbass from other members expressing concern over the removal of all the strings. I say it is not a problem. I have been working on basses for a few years now and do it all the time. As you stated, how else are you going to perform the pickup work?

I have let my basses sit without strings on them for days at a time like this, while working on them (leaving them in the same room/environment).

I assume your putting the same strings back on, or new strings that are the same gauges? If you are changing gauges, you may need to tweek the truss rod a bit.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've never experienced any problems taking all the strings off my bass. I also soak the entire bass in a tub full of warm sudsy water to get the deep set dirt off of it. Then I towel dry it and put it in the sun for some good ol vitaminn D. Just kidding.

Really though - taking the strings off has never hurt my basses. The only thing is when you re-string them it may take a half an hour or so for the neck to adjust properly. If you keep your action low it will probably buzz a little till it re-adjusts. I say this because I used to immediately go fiddling with action and truss rod after I replaced the strings, and realized after a while that it was uneccesary (and skrewed up my setup).
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, i do have to say, i did that once, and the neck went screwy on me, it was so bad, had to get a new neck. but it was a piece of crap. i would only have the courage to do that again if i had a graphite neck.
  5. Wow... My bass hasn't a bolt-on neck, so, if I damage its neck I should buy another one! Aaarghh $1300!!!!!!
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Not as dangerous as it would be to get stinkin' drunk, stick a pork chop in each of your pockets and then wrestle my ex-roommate's Bull Terrier. :D
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's an absolutely rare thing to happen.
    Probably the neck was bad anyway (wood too moist?)

In 99.99% of all cases nothing will happen, unless you don't store the bass properly. At the most you may have to readjust the truss-rod.