Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dangers of tuning up?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jan 8, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I have a question: Is it unsafe(eg you're likely to snap the string) if you tune the 'G' and 'D' string on a bass(4 string) UP 1 1/2 steps?

So anyone have any advice?

2. Hmm... The neck could bend and become warped if you don't ajust it. How long do you intend to keep the tuning like this?

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say what Freaky said and well, watch for snapping strings - my D string has the greatest tension and I don't know what more would do...

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I need it for one song :bassist: (that I'm itching to reocrd :cool: but have no way of doing so :( )-after playing I'd re-tune it to "standard"

I just don't want the strings to snap, or I'll be like --> :crying:

5. Is this a matter of chording? Have you thought of using a capo instead? Just curious as to what you're trying to transpose.... you could capo at G and detune your E & A strings...

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    yes and I dont have one
    and no,I don't need have any chording involved

I'm playing a guitar :bassist: piece that I turned into a bass piece :D .
    It's 'What Shall We Do Now?'(Approx. the first 2 miniutes of it) by Pink Floyd and it's off of :bag: The Wall Movie Soundtrack :bag: .

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    So is it likely to break the strings or no. I'm really worried about trying it without asking, since I just got my bass for christmas(though I had one to practice with for up till thanksgiving) and I know that bass strings are expensive $20USD...$35+ so I don't want to snapp them.

8. It pretty much depends on the gauge of the strings. If your G string is 0.45 or higher it is very likely to snap. Maybe you should get a lighter gauge alá Manring.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There is a relationship between the gauge of a string and the tension at which it produces a certain pitch. Take an average set of strings (eg 100-80-60-40). All things being equal, you'd expect them to have roughly the same tension when tuned to EADG. Drop the E down to a low D and you'll find the string feels floppy compared to the others; tune the G string up to Bb and, if it doesn't go snap, it will feel a lot tighter.

Now look at the difference between the strings. The A string is twenty steps lighter in gauge and five semitones higher in pitch. Divide twenty by five and it suggests that each semitone higher needs to be about four steps lighter in order to maintain the same tension (roughly speaking). Therefore, to tune EAFBb and keep the same tension you'd want to use the following gauges: 100-80-48-28 (100-80-50-30 would be a reasonable compromise).

If you don't want to splash out for new strings one way to get the same effect would be to tune the lower strings down. For example, relatively speaking, DAEbAb is the same as EAFBb... or just learn how to play the song in standard tuning ;)

Wulf

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I tuned my G string up a tone for a short while (trying CGDA) and it didn't snap, dunno about a minor third though.

11. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    The reason I want to tune those strings up is cuz I don't want/need a comparitivy higher pitch(eg tune down A and E so that G and D sound higher) but I actually need a higher overall pitch(just for this so it would have a very 'different' sound), and I can't move the song up 'X' amount of frets since the highest note I strike is on the 20th fret(which is the highest fret on my bass) and I don't know what the hell brand strings(or their 'statistics' for that matter) that came with my bass.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't know the piece of music so can't say for sure but, if the cost of a new set of strings is going to be a stretch for you, I'd experiment with rearranging it to fit a more standard tuning rather than tuning up. You can get different sounds by experimenting with tone controls and where you place your fingers without running such a risk of snapping a string.

Wulf