1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dangit, I hate thin walls.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My neighbor just came over pissed that he could hear my bass. It's 12:30, and I can understand that he'd be pissed off. It's just frustrating that I can't play with any sort of volume without someone hearing it. I need to move. Seriously...

Anyone else have this problem? Is a headphone amp in order?

2. A small practice amp with headphone jack, cd input/rca inputs works great for late night jamming. A good set of headphones with decent bass response also.

:bassist:

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    buy an acoustic bass?

4. you could also try practicing at a different time:atoz:

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    nope that would be too loud too

I would invest in a nice pair of headphones, I've got a pair that rock, perfect for this kind of thing.

they are Sehnizer (or however it is spelled) no idea on the model... but they are huge cover the entire ear headphones

6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I can remember getting a visit one time from the neighbor for that...then, after turning WAY down, had him come back because, even though he couldn't hear me, I was still rattling his china with the bass...he was kinda PO'd then. Had to shut it down for the night.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I use my computer with GuitarPort and headphones at night. Good amplifier modelling and effects software makes wearing headphones worthwhile for late night practice. If you go the headphone route, don't skimp, get something that is comfortable and has good bass response.
    BTW: I was never a fan of apartment living. :atoz:

8. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    One time a cop told me he was standing in the street in front of the house and could feel the bass through his feet. Cool.

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I keep meaning to snag one of those bass trainers when they pop up here. or one of those Dragonflys.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I'd recommend headphones over the dragonfly by a ratio of approximately 1 billion or more to 1.

11. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    not worth it eh? I was leaning more towards the trainer just for being able to plug in a cd player for learning tunes as well.

12. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Cafe Walter makes a wonderful headphone amp.

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have a Korg Pandora. Decent practice amp, tuner, metronome, drum machine, FX... portable (if you have a pocket full of batteries). You don't have to use the little 'ear buds' kind of headphones either. I use an AKG 240 and it works great.

14. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    This.

15. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I usually try to go the headphone route at night. Although I generally don't like it, but I'm sure my downstairs neighbors appericiate it. I think that bass may not seem that loud when you turn it down, but it's the low ferquency vibrations that are the problem.

16. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Get a Tascam Bass Trainer. You'll love it, and your neighbor will think you've given up the bass.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use a JamLab, and it's great!

18. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    I'm lucky. I live in a basement apartment with no neighbors on either side. I have an upstairs neighbor but thats it. So I can turn it up pretty loud, even in the small hours. :atoz::D

19. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I have one of those too, and I personally find that no matter what I do, the bass sounds like crap. I need a headphone amp.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd rather that happen than hear my housemate having sex with his ex for a few minutes, then tell other people it lasted four hours.