1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dani California,FLEA

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FunkyTragic, Apr 6, 2006.

1. FunkyTragic

FunkyTragic

Jun 18, 2005
    England
    I love this new video,but what I notice is that when it finally gets to them playing in their normal attire,Flea is playing [what looks like] a Fender Jazz bass;Has he stopped using his Modulus signature basses?

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I haven't seen the new video...heard it was kinda funny.

All of the recent ad's I have seen show him with a Jazz bass. These are mostly GK ad's.

4. He has moved to more fender stuff, I don't know what he used on the cd (probally a mix of several of his basses). But on all recent live videos he is using either a jazz or a pbass.

About the song, KICKASS, it is purly amazing. Different vibe as they have kept their sound evolving, john play some crazy guitar and the bass fills during the guitar solo are sweet.

lowsound

5. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I luv the new R.H.C.P CD. I like the bassline from Dani California very solid and just like flea

6. do any of you have the new album? i dont think it has come out yet, i cant wait to get it.

7. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm indredibly impressed with the Chili's new release, I just hope the album is better than 'By the Way'...they're certainly showing thier songwriting maturity anyway.

8. The Bass(es) shown in videos are rarely the bass used for recording (not saying it doesn't happen, but it really has no bearing. Directors don't care which one was used). His vintage Jazz did feature at the end, but then there was a violin bass among others in that vid too. That said, the backing bass tone sounded very non-flea bass.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I feel like that bass is really coming out for the indoor stuff now. When I saw them on the btw tour he was using his modulus, but then on the axis of justice cd/dvd he was rockin the '61, and now in all his ads and the video he has the fender. I think when the enviroment allows he'll bust it out. I'm psyched for the new cd, as poppy as dani california is, it DOES show how they're evolving as song writers.

I really liked john's tone too. I wasn't so much a fan of the distortion he was using on the hyde park cd or the slane castle dvd but I really love how he took those same motifs he was employing iin his solos and incorporated a few in that one song. He has the same distortion but it sounds a lot better in the studio.

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I wouldn't be so sure about that...in fact, I believe Flea has been using a Jazz bass a lot recently to record, at least so I've heard.

11. That's why I said it is rare, rather than saying that it never happens. Case in point, the video for 'Give it Away' made everyone think that Flea was playing a StingRay for it, simply because it was in the video. Twas in fact a Wal (I hope this doesn't open up the whole 'what did Flea play on BSSM?' again). RHCP aren't alone with that either I'm sure.

What I was suggesting was that it could be anything, it doesn't necessarily have to be the same bass used in the recording in the video (I don't think Flea changed basses as in the video when recording). I also said that it sounded decidedly non-modulus, so it could quite well be his Jazz. Again, might not be.

12. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Gotcha :)

In anycase, I agree...it's not too Modulus-ey. I think that's the way Flea is beginning to lean anyway...a more 'simplistic' approach, so I think his Jazz Basses are more fitting for the sound he's after.

13. The simplistic may have come from his playing with mars volta. I read an interview with Juan, and he said they like a more simple approach, and even when flea came down to record with his fancy modulus and stuf that they just asked him to play a fender for them.

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, I read the same, Chips. I think Flea didn't want to fall into the pitfall of becoming a 'novel' bass player, percieved as a bassist who'll only slap away on the latest active bass and nothing else.

I think Omar from the Mars Volta had a pretty good conception of what he wanted from 'Deloused...' in terms of Bass Playing. He used to be a Bassist himself.

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    finally saw the video... during the "Hendrix" scene... Kiedis reaaaalllly looks like Phil Lynott!!!

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Phil Lynott? I thought he looked the spit of Prince!

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    That orange jazz he has in the video for "cant stop" looked really cool. :D

18. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I love the new stuff that i've heard. Very solid. And yeah, I think flea uses a mix of modulus and fender basses now. He's holding a jazz bass in the gallien krueger ad with that upright bass player. I dunno if you guys have seen it or not.

19. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    great video clip to an (IMO) average RHCP song. they did a great job with the costumes and acting, very authentic.

i just wish they could get their mojo back, it seems to have gone missing post one hot minute.:meh: