Daniel Elliott please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pyrohr, Jun 22, 2003.

1. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hi Dan, I have a GK400RBII that has started to give me a problem. When I play a single note at a moderate volume I hear a raspiness or crackling with the note. I am about to trade this combo in for a 1001RBII so I would like to know how bad the problem is. Any and all help would be helpful.

2. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I don't know where Dan is. GK has got him overworked and underpaid. The raspiness may be a bad input jack or you may be overloading the preamp. Try pushing the -10db PAD in. If it's doing this WITH the PAD in. I have no earthly idea what's up with that thing. Hope this helps.
  3. Sorry for the delay, I have indeed been very busy.

Is the clip light coming on at all? If not, then try turning down the volume knob to about 10 oclock. The 400RB gain tends to be very hot. To get louder, turn up the boost to about 12 oclock or higher. The higher you go the more saturation you'll get. Set the master to about 10 oclock and then slowly turn it up until you get to the volume level you want to play at. You should have a much cleaner signal with these settings.

If this doesn't fix it, twittle all the knobs to see if you have a bad pot somewhere.

Let me know how it goes.
  4. I just went back and reread your post. Apparently it was working fine before? Try using a different cable. If it's still there, wiggle the cable at both ends to see if the jack is loose in the amp or the guitar. Twittle all the knobs and buttons while you're playing through it. Switch the jack that the speaker is plugged into.

If you bought it new, it has a two year warranty on all electronics. If you don't find the problem with any of the above suggestions, send me a pm.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Dan, My combo sits atop a 1x15RBH cab, I tried unpluging the combo and leaving the other bottom hooked up and it still does it. I have the head at 9 o'clock (both volume and gain)and play notes one by one slowly and the raspiness follows every note. I bought this new 1 year ago and there has never been a problem before. It is early now so I will try what you say when I get home from work.

thank You pyrohr