Daniel Spree of The Drills

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 14, 2017.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think this cat deserves his own thread. I've watched a lot of Phil X videos and his band's rhythm section is everything a great rock rhythm section should be: tight by still groovin', tasteful yet busy when needed. Daniel Spree is just a killer rock bassist. While I'm not really a big "vintage tone" kind of guy, he totally nails that vibe whenever he plays.

Here they are playing some covers:

Here's they are playing an original:

I just dig everything these cats are about. Phil X came up old school, where you bust your ass playing gigs, getting your chops together performing cover music, and then write well-thought out but catchy original music. There's no pretension about these cats, and that's just something you don't see very often anymore.

zontar likes this.
  2. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    The Drills are a good group of guys. Phil, Dan and Kenny make up a kick ass band. I know Phil and Dan a little.

Phil is currently playing with Bon Jovi as Richie Sambora's replacement, so the Drills are kind of in a standstill.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  3. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I saw Phil X at a guitar clinic/product demo type thing & he brought along the Drills--it was quite good.
    I was impressed with the bass playing.
    He played stuff that fit the song & what Phil X was doing.
    Which is a very good thing for a bass player to do.

Here's another video of them--doing Fairies Wear Boots:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    zombie thread revival! yay!

just got a link to Phil X & The Drills doing Stevie Wonders (by way of Beck Bogert & Appice) Superstition.

I usually don't as these kinds of questions, but how does Daniel Spree get that monster rock bass tone ?
    I typically am a clean tone player, but man, that is a killer bass tone for sure. I don't see any amps in the room, just his 70's Jazz bass.

just for fun and your entertainment ... here is the yt vid.

6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    follow up ...
    in some of the other Phil X Fretted Americana videos, which seem to be recorded in the same studio, Daniel seems to be using some kind of Ashdown amp (not sure which one) ... but there only seems to be some kind of stand mounted unit on his side of the studio for the Superstition recording. I wonder if he is using a modeler of some kind ?

I would sure like to know how he's getting that tone ... any ideas from the combined knowledge of TB ?

7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    The newest Phil X & The Drills video.

Something To Say by Phil X & The Drills written by Phil X. Phil X: Guits & Throat, Daniel Spree: Bass and Background Vocals, Matt Chamberlain: Drums, Marq Torien, Steve Ferlazzo, Matt Starr and Joe Lester: Gang Vocals recorded at Atrium Studios / Engineer: Smiley Sean. Everett Bradley: Percussion recorded by Everett Bradley. Adrienne Woods: Cello recorded by Rob Rettberg. Phil X Guitar Overdub recorded at Kronos Recording

pfschim likes this.
  8. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    in this new video, Daniel is using an SVT (and an EB3 ?) ....
    still no closer to the answer to how he is getting that tone in the Superstition vid though

9. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    to any who care, I opened another thread in Amps and Cabs asking about ways to get Daniels tone on Superstition.
    plenty of responses there if you would like to check it out.

enjoy!

10cc likes this.
  10. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Does anybody know what Fender Precision bass this cat is using?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021