Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danish Oil on the fingerboard - Is it a big No No?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rubo, Sep 27, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I'm learning as I go and so far I've done everything back wards. I'm trying to refinish the back of my 2001 Jazz neck with Watco Danish Oil. After few coats and wet sanding, the 48 drying process I discovered few bid spots leaked on the rosewood fingerboard. Mostly at the 1st and 2nd frets. Some went under the nut, some under the first two frets. What is the best way to clean it since most already dried. I'm thinking 1000 sand paper. Also what will happen if i just finished the whole fingerboard with that oil as well, is that a bad idea. What will happen to the frets if oil is leaked under it. Also I have a lemon oil - will that help me clean up my mess.

Next question is about Varnish and Polyurethane. Is it wise to apply Polyurethane as my last coat lets say in a weeks time once the Danish Oil is dried out completely. Will it stick on top of the Oil. I want to get maximum protection, but also keep the back very smooth for faster movement.

Cheers

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I really like Qualasole for the backs of necks. It doesn't "lock " your hand like so many other finishes seem to do.....t

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I already desided on the finish, just need to solve these problems.

4. The Watco is there for the duration. Sorry! You can take a little of the shine off with some fine steel wool if you want to hide the drip a little bit better. IMO, there isn't anything wrong with using the hardening oils on rosewood fretboards. I rather like the look myself.

If you want to put poly over the oil, just make sure it's completely cured (no smell at all) and you should be fine. Polyurethane is very compatible over Tru-Oil or Danish Oil finishes.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    If I put oil on top of the fingerboard, will that change the sound of my bass (kind of like the Pedulla Epoxy factor). Also if oil leaks under the frets , will that loosen them up?

Cheers

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    On a fretted bass - shouldn't make too much difference. On a fretless, the string is generating harmonics by buzzing against the fingerboard and your fing; on a fretted, that doesn't enter into the equation.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Ok, everything is clear so far, now how many coats is enough for the back of the neck? I've done two regular ones, then one with 400 wet sanding paper, then one with 600 paper, and tomorrow will do one with 1000 paper. Will that be enough? Or better yet how many years will that last, if i play 1-2 hours each day.

Cheers