1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DANKO JONES BASS DISTORTION

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by djseo, Oct 2, 2008.

1. djseo

djseo

Oct 2, 2008
    Spain
    Hi, i'm triying to find the distort used by the Danko Jones bassist, but i don't know well if is a fuzz or a overdrive. So, i would like to know what is the effect he use.
    Someone could help me?
    Thnks!

2. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I'm curious as well... About the distortion and how many other people know of Danko Jones.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I love me some Danko Jones. I got the chance to see him in a local bar in Buffalo (since he's from Toronto) with about 50 people.

4. djseo

djseo

Oct 2, 2008
    Spain
    hey sevenyearsdown, your lucky!!
    i'm spanish and here is difficult to see a Danko Jones concert...
    i like concerts in small places with not many people.

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've heard he is huge over in Europe. Over here though, I live 5 minutes from the Canadian border. He used to play around my neck of the woods in small clubs when he was getting started. Now we're lucky if he even stops near Buffalo between European tours. I caught him just before We Sweat Blood came out. He plays his ass off live - really good rock show, and the band is spot on.

I was literally 5 feet from him on a stage that I in fact had played from time to time in my original bands days. It was pretty cool.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think he's big on tube heads, more than likely he's just got the overdrive going.

Danko Jones = AWESOME. Wish they'd play down here sometime...

7. I'm going to see him at the Jet Nightclub here in Edmonton, AB tomorrow (Friday). :hyper:

I love the simple, in-yer-face, kick ass rock and roll Danko makes. If I have some luck, I can talk with the bass player and check out his gear - if I do, I'll report back :)

Cheers!

8. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I thought it was a cranked tube head with a clean DI blended?

He does use those EBS Classic 450's now, those supposed sound very good.

9. He's also an EBS pedal endorser, so I would guess at a Multidrive being in there somewhere.

10. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    round my parts danko jones is way to overplayed. People are starting to get tired of them

anyway, on topic. cranked tube head with a clean blended DI is what I can perceive.

11. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I was expecting recognition from Canadians and people int norther states, but IME, the further south you get, the more you get "Danko who?"

Djseo, I salute you! Music know no boundaries, even oceans!

12. ...and he kicked ASS. It was a high energy, damn good time. I did not actually get a chance to chat with the bass player, John Calabrese, but from what I could see, he was using his Ampeg SVT stack - even though the web site says he uses EBS amps (which he may have done on the album). He had a couple of EBS pedals at his feet but I wasn't close enough to identify them - although I'd bet on the Multidrive as one of them.

Good, solid, tight band, those guys.

Last night my wife and I saw Joe Satriani (freakin' wow) and he's touring with Stu Hamm as his bassist this time around. Stu was playing the new Hartke Hydrive series - 2 stacks of 4x10 + 1x15. In the FOH it's hard to say what the actual amps sound like, but it was pretty fine from where I was standing.

Now... I must return to the woodshed :smug:

Cheers!

13. Just got back from seeing Danko. They put on one hell of a show.

Bassist was using an EBS TD650 head into an EBS classic series 410, couldn't see the pedalboard, but man was there a ton of bass dirt going on. Such a wicked disgusting tone, but unfortunately it got a bit lost when the guitar kicked in.

14. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I was going on a Danko binge last night, had my iPod repeating it for about four hours while I worked on my computer. I wish my amp had balls like his...

15. mooses

mooses

Feb 7, 2006
    He uses a EBS ValveDrive, and some times a MultiDrive. Together with the MultiComp and the EBS Classic 450 heads.