Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dann glenn again...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by john turner, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  2. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...oy vey.

You can almost hear the "splat" of him hitting the wall, looking for a way around it.

I should drop him a line, see what's up.

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I wonder if he uses a pick.

[Disclaimer - As a fellow opiniated SOB, I always liked Dann. Had to take the shot before someone else got to it first though. :) ]

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Let's start a pool to see which instrument he switches to next. My money's on fretless trumpet. BTW, I too, am one of the few guys that likes Dann.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That is just sad. Really.

6. what's with that fruity mouse pointer crap on the page? that just screams "GEOCITIES."

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well I don't feel as bad about playing with a pick anymore...

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Ya think he's selling his Hotwires bass and Carvin stack????

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Did he used to post here?

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, he used to be one of the TalkBass Pros here

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So are his arguments with Brad etc still in existance? I wanna see what the fuss is about :D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You and everyone else that wasn't here at the time...ie me. I sorta asked around about that too. Seems that what happened was when "the amazing Jeff Berlin" decided to leave as a TB pro, he stopped by the Batcave to pick up his trusty sidekick, former bassist Dann Glenn (who at that time just went by bassist Dann Glenn), and then they sped on over to TB central, or wherever they keep their PC's, and deleted every single thread from their forums. That's how I understand it.

brad cook

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Geez.

I could never see any of our current pros doing anything like that. I've only really encountered Steve Lawson and Mike Dimin - but they're really great guys, very helpful, and they know what they're doing - yet don't seem to have the inflated ego that can go along with that.

Methinks there was some sort of ego trip there with Jeff & Dann?

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    On a side note - I think I see an error on Dann's website. There he refers to Berlin as "the amazing Jeff Berlin." However, on Jeff Berlin's website he is clearly referred to as "a legend of the electric bass" with subtitle of "the finest electric bass soloist in the world."

Perhaps "the amazing" is his old title and Dann just wasn't made aware of the title change. Should I email the webmaster...or maybe Jeff Berlin IS the webmaster. Hmmm...

brad cook

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I did get involved in pointless arguments with both Jeff Berlin and Dann Glenn. They were (possibly still are) very outspoken and seem to like sparking...ahem ..debate. When Basslinks.nl started up I actually patched it up with Dann. I admire Dann's loyalty to his friend. Also he has been a source of inspiration to younger players during his stint at basslinks. RE the born again guitarist thang, I'll end with one sentence.

There's no such thing as bad press.

17. Well, I haven't heard Dann on the geeter, but if he plays it as well as he does the bass, he'll do just fine. Nothing wrong with playing more than one instrument (Richard Bona comes to mind), and the last time I checked, the U.S. of A. was still a free country.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Boy, you Canadians sure are out of the loop. :D

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    So am I. He has always been a great guy with me. He has given me lots of advice on many topics, and he has always been kind to me. He even sent me a batch of his CDs and an autographed poster when I asked him if I could get his CDs somewhere (he sent them to me personally because they were out of print at the time). I have heard both sides of the arguements and the past from these boards, and I am not going to take sides.

and like CS said, I am one of those youngsters on Basslinks whom he has influenced, greatly.

That said, I am sure, as XG said, he will still be one helluva musician, be it on guitar, bass, or keyboard.

Music is music, no matter what instrument it comes from. And from what I have heard of his bass work and keyboard work, his music is pretty friggin good!

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All of the posts were deleted. Before Dann left we patched things up. I hope he's doing well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.