Dann Glenn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just ordered two Dann Glenn CD's and he's sending me the new one, _Subharmonia_, soon. I know he's stirred up a little controversy occasionally, but I'd like to know what people here have to say about him. He is an awesome talent, both as a player and a composer.

In some recent correspondence with him, I was impressed by his openness and genuineness. Right out of the blue, he offered to send me his new CD free. He has also posted two entire albums on the Global Bass website so that you can hear them.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, Glenn stirred the pot with his comments about playing the bass with a plectrum. There's a feature of him in the newest BASS FRONTIERS' mag(I think).
    What about his bass? Is it a Modulus "Jazz" with ONLY a bridge pickup?!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where was this controversy? I'd never heard of him before he appeared on the "Home Page" of TalkBass, but on the photos there, he appears to be playing fingerstyle?
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey, Bruce. The quote I think JimK is referring to is something like, "Never play with a pick. It's like putting high heels on an elephant so it will walk better." Yes, he plays fingerstyle. This quote sounds like a slam at people like Joe Osborn, Chris Squire, Carol Kaye, etc. I asked him about it, and he said he didn't mean it that way. He was, in fact, pretty complimentary about Joe Osborn's playing. He said his point was that he feels that a lot of younger players think they need to play with a pick because some rock players use them. He says fingerstyle is more versatile and expressive.

JimK-Yeah, just one Lane Poor. His new DG/LW bass is similar, but with just a LightWave pickup. It's not on the Modulus site yet, but there's a news item about it here at talkbass.