Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dann Glenn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kimstevens, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    I just went to Dann Glenn's website

http://www.dannglenn.com

and he has removed all bass related info from his site! He now refers to himself as a composer/keyboardist.

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    :rolleyes:

/lovebown

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    1. Who Cares!

2. I notice he does not mention that he is a member of the human species - which is also in question

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ouch!! :bag:

brad cook

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually that does seem a bit of shame - is there any chance he has had some sort of breakdown...post-traumatic stress from combat situations ?

Just a thought?

6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    if he wrote the bio himself (which i suppose) he is such an incredibly lame poser.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how bizarre.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto, that guy seems highly unstable.

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I believe he suffered some sort of injury I forget wether it was physical trauma or a medical condition of some sort I just remember reading things about/from him that were long the lines of I dont know if I'll be able to play again....

Its possible that playing Keys is OK for him and he's making a go of it?

AJ

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    yeah. i believe the hand actually got seperated from his arm. at least that's what he said or at least implied. but he also stated that surgeons were able to "repair" the damaged nerves, tendons, etc. so he was able to play again.

strangely google didn't find anything remotely related to dann glenn and the words injury or severed hand. but why should he make something like that up. that'd be too much, even for him. maybe i just used the wrong words for input into the search engine.

that said, lots of people changed their instruments. didn't herbie hancock play drums? i also believe that many people on this board did so themselves.
    perhaps they started out on piano or guitar or harp or tuba and later found their "calling".
    adam nitti for example started out on piano.

but no one makes such a big show out of it.

(oh, that biography. if dann glenn wasn't so unimportant to me i'd really mail him and ask whether he wrote it himself.)

11. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Me and Dann used to trade E-mails all the time a while back and he mentioned wanting to switch to keys almost a year ago. That lasted a month or so before he went back to bass. This kind of sounds like the same. He probably hit "the wall" again and needs to figure a way around it.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ask long time TB member Brad Johnson - he and Dann were "great friends." ;)

Personally, I don't judge the person - what he produces as a musician is what I respect. His PR skills don't matter much to me.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

That sounds like Corea...or Jaco.
    ;)

Many of the great vibists were originally drummers.
    Way back when-
    I recall reading about a few horn players who switched to guitar late in their careers(their excessive smoking/tobacco habit made playing a horn impossible).

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have talked to Dann many times. We have traded many mails in the recent past. He's a really cool guy, and I think he's a great player. His bass work is amazing, and his symphonies, which are keyboard, are killer too. He sent me 5 of his CDs for free, 2 bass and 3 symphonies, himself. Personalized poster, and he sent it to me for free, simply because I asked. Seems like a pretty nice person to me. He has given me more advice than any other single person, and much of it also applies to every day life.

People here need to stop bashing him. Let the past be the past.

Like rickbass said, he might not be great with PR, but that isnt what you should respect. To my ears, he's one hell of a musician.

And Mike, I care, as I consider him a friend, and he is very much human. After you saying that comment, I don't know about you....

This isn't needed. Get over your personal issues, or keep them to your self.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I agree with all this. He has given me good advice, and refered me to a very good teacher. I have had nothing but good experiences with him.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you don't know the whole story. suffice it to say that some folks around here have valid reasons for their opinions, just as you have valid reasons for yours.

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    While it is true that I was not here for the whole story (and I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the exact story), I did hear about what happened from people from both sides of the arguement. I feel that I have a good idea of what happened.

First off, if he isn't messing with any of the people here, then these people need to let it die. The past is the past. Move on.

Second, if someone wants to hold a grudge, then go ahead, but there is no need to point it out and directly jab at him for no reason. If you don't like him, good for you. But keep your personal issues personal. notice the use of the key word... "personal"

We have been told here to stop the anti-hoppus threads and anti-fieldy threads, and there are people on TB who DO like them. Why are people allowed to say these things about Dann, when there are people on here who like him as well, personally and musically?

There is no difference.

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... :( Sorry to hear about that.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Damn, I'm glad that I don't have to rely on some 16 year old for my self esteem

20. This is not good. May I suggest that we all refrain from posting to this thread, if only to keep the peace. Resorting to 'name calling' & 'persona bashing', as has been alleged to have provoked this animosity to begin with, is surely counter productive, to say the least. (Furthermore, I believe it may be against TB rules).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.