1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Danny Boy" Banned from NYC Bar (CNN)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Could we get something like that here but substitute "Danny Boy" with "Freebird" and "Stairway to Heaven"?

2. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I was trying to guess before I opened the thread.

"Danny Elfman?"

"Danny Partridge?" (No, he's a fictional character)

"Danny Barenboim?"

Then I realized it was just the SONG. *Snore*

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    No Stairway! Denied!

4. <Useless factoid> When that movie was in the theaters the opening notes were clearly discernible. When it was released on DVD Zeppelin sued them and made them change it to a series of unrecognizable notes.</Useless factoid>

5. Innnnnnteresting... I watched Wayne's World the other day, and I couldn't figure out why they made a big deal of Stairway to Heaven, when you couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be.

6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I agree 100% on this one. Can't seem to play anywhere without someone yelling Freebird (though I do dig the live version) or Stairway. It is fun to start off with a couple measures of these songs then change tunes. :scowl:

7. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Having never seen the theater release, I have always wondered about that. Thank you!

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Paradise City

9. <wayne> I was not aware of that! </wayne>

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hmmm, I was wondering about that last weekend.

a sphincter...

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    In fact, something just to ban Led Zep full stop?

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    No one wants to hear Danny Boy, or Freebird (not usually, anyway), or Stairway.

But you know what I'd like to ban?

Mustang Sally. Mustang-Freakin'-Sally. I hate that song. We always have to play it because the women wanna dance to it. Arrrggghhhh!

I hate that song in every key I've ever played it in. And every key I haven't, too.

Oh, and my singer wants to do "Why Don't You Stay". That song moves me to violence, but the silly girls love it because its soooooo saaaaaaad, the poooooor woman. They keep asking her to sing it, so...I'm stuck having to learn this song that is sympathetic to a slut who is trying to take someone else's man. So all the girls can go "Awwwwww!" and request the he11 out of the stupid song.

Sorry...ranting...

Cherie

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I love Led Zep.

Let's ban, instead, any and all songs by Sugarland, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, and all those other girly new-"country" songs. (This dreck ain't real country. Its just dreck.) They make me want to hurt someone.

Let's also ban that HORRIBLE "country" duet by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. Those two should have been tied to very-busy railroad tracks for recording that awful thing.

And now every drunk woman in a bar wants our drummer and singer to perform it. Which means I'll have to play that crap.

Cherie

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Mustang Sally is one of the reasons I will never play in a jukebox band ever again.

15. I'll see your "Mustang Sally" and raise you with "Brown Eyed Girl" [==shudders==]. Can't walk down Bourbon street any night of the week without hearing both!

But there's the key: recognizable to a fault and women dance to it.

BTW, There should be a very large tip jar "cover charge" for any requests of this ilk. (hee, hee)

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    OK - no more "Takin' Care of Business" tho I do like BTO

and if yer gonna play it, don't butcher the format pls!

17. Oh, a big +1 to that, Cherie! :D :cool:

I hated the Bob Seeger version, and hated the Kenny Rogers/Sheena Easton remake even more. I will never understand why people want to hear sad songs/watch sad movies when they are out for entertainment, supposedly to have a "good time."

I mean, come on; enough sad things will happen in everyone's life without them having to go look for more.

Back to Danny Boy: I'm glad this guy banned it from his bar.
    If you've ever been in an Irish bar in NYC on St. Patrick's Day when this song comes on, almost all conversation comes to a screeching halt, partly because some people get wet-eyed, and partly because the others feel they're at a funeral, and must be respectful. :rollno:

BOO, Danny Boy! I won't miss you! :spit:

Mike :D ;)