Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dano standards v.s mini's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    i recently purchased a danelectro cool cat chorus for $70 and then later saw a danelectric mini chorus peddle for like $45. are the mini peddles as high quality as the standards? did i get ripped off?
    -dan

2. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    You did not get ripped off!!! The cool cat chorus is one of the best sounding choruses for under 400$, seriously. From what I've heard about the Danelectro mini's, it seems they are a last resort to effects, someone would only buy one if they needed a pedal desperately for a show or something. They are made of plastic, are not very programmable, and are way to small. Guitar One recently did a review of them in a recent issue (current?) try checking that out.

3. A guitarist friend o' mine has a Coolcat. It's a good sounding chorus... but it's broken twice so far under the warranty. He's going to be buying a Line 6 Modulation Modeler (now that thing is where it's at... though I wouldn't recommend it if all you need is chorus..it has simulations of various choruses, flangers, phasers, tremolo/vibratos, and a ring modulator!) soon and will probably be ditching the Dano.

I haven't had any experience with the mini's..but I'd warrant that you're much better off by spending the extra $30 for the Cool Cat.

4. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I've had a Dano Cool Cat for awhile now and have nothing but good things to say about it. This thing is built like a tank and does'nt zap out your low end like other pedals do. And it's virtually noise free.

5. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    ok, thanx alot. just wanted to make sure [​IMG]

6. The minis belong in cereal boxes, but so do the plastic output jacks of the otherwise cool(though now long-discontinued)full-sized, metal, clonk-you in-the-head-like-you-mean-it ones. Hope this helps. :)

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, the one mini I had was such a cheap flimsy piece of crap that I was embarrassed to re-sell it.

8. Yeah, I love the old standards. I loved my Daddy-O but dumped it cheap when the output got glitchy. If I ever stumble across a Cool Cat or Dan-Echo cheap I'll jump. Maybe rehouse em & upgrade the jacks. Bongo, do you know if the DE is real-time tweakable or self-oscillates?

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Nope, don't know, sorry.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    8 years later, he was still wondering. :p

11. Someone noticed. :ninja:

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    hahaha you're as bored as I am.

[​IMG]

13. Yes- there's something:ninja:missing from TB tonight, & I'm not afraid to admit I'm trying to fill that hole.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oof! Normally I catch the zombie threads, but this time it caught me!

[​IMG]

15. Mission accomplished. :D