Dap kings! Mystery bass!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ON the ONE, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ON the ONE

ON the ONE

Nov 20, 2010
    Maine
    I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings last night. WOW. The entire band is incredible. I thought their bass player was the daptone records owner Greg something. He had three sentences in bassplayer mag. Maybe 6 months ago.
    The road bassist on the other hand was out of this world. Amongst the very best female players I have seen. Sharon introduced her as "foxy bass". A more than fitting name because she looked as good as she played. Simply amazing.
    Does anyone know who this is? I'd like to hear more. She played an old P bass that was modified and a vintage SVT.

2. shrimpchowmein

shrimpchowmein Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Blaine, WA
    I was there! Surprised to not see any other talk about her on the forum, she was NASTY. I loved how classy the bass and drum solos at the end were. No ridiculous fills or licks, just grooving on their own. Awesome show.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Gabe Roth is the owner of Daptone and he used to play bass with Sharon Jones (A Hofner, I believe). Not sure who is in there now, but i'm glad to hear things are still cooking.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Hagar Ben-Ari has done some work the Dap Kings; not sure what the arrangement between her and Bosco is. Here's a pic; is this who you saw?

[​IMG]

/rick

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Definitely sounds like Hagar Ben-Ari.

6. ON the ONE

ON the ONE

Nov 20, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah, that's her. I have seen that pimps of joytime (a favorite band of mine) video before. My first thought was that they were one and the same and was amazed by her right hand technique then. Seeing it in action is even more amazing. I put in an hour of practice last night when I got home....2 hours tonight!
    Also yes it's gabe not Greg. My bad and def no disrespect. He is a master of taste.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021