1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dare I say it? Noel Redding vs. Billy Cox?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oldfclefer, Apr 9, 2006.

Dare I ask? Noel redding or Billy Cox?

Poll closed May 9, 2006.
  1. Noel Redding

27.9%
  2. Billy Cox

72.1%
  1. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Noel Redding

Billy Cox

It's as simple as that.

You know why I'm posting this thread.

Who is your fav with JH?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No contest-

Billy Cox.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I'll go with Jimi's own favorite, Billy Cox.

Jimi didn't take him to England with him because when he tried to Billy said he couldn't go as he already had a steady gig.

Hendrix went with Noel because he couldn't have Billy and secondly because he liked his hair!

Noel did just fine but I like Billy's lines and feel.

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I think this is kind of hard becasue Hendrix wrote all the basslines . Hendrix was probably the best bass player outta all 3. If you listen to some of his lines of Electric Ladyland they are pretty Motown/R&B sounding. He plays on like 6 songs of that album. If you search "HEndrix on Bass" in google you'll find an article and in google images you'll find a pic of him jamming on a White Fender Jazz flipped upside down. It was Tommy SHannon's. Hendrix even plays a bass solo on 1983 from EL. But if i had to choose one of those two , i'd prob choose Billy even though Noel did play alot of really cool bass solos live.

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Completely different players, and while I prefer Billy's playing since he is more of a traditional bass player, both were great for what they did contribute to Jimi's stuff.

BoG is still demonstrates some of the most devastating rhythm tracks ever in my book. Jimi was positively soaring over the foundation Billy/Buddy provided those nights.

6. yeah, i think they are both different styles, from what i have heard from each, Billy Cox was more of a laid-back bass player, while Noel Redding played in front and all over the place :)
    I voted noel, because he has one of my favorite live tones...it just screams power...if you can find it, look for a live version of "Killing Floor" and that is what i am talking about :)

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I'm with Jim on this one. IMO he deserves a lot more credit/recognition than I feel he has received.

8. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I read somewhere that Noel was an excellent guitarist in his own right, and really was not pleased to have to play bass behind Jimi.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It's called "turn the amp all the way up!"
    I think the track you're referring to has to be the version from their appearance at the Monterey Pop Festival, which is currently available only on DVD. Not to be missed!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There was the rub, IMHO! Noel not realizing Jimi was a vastly superior guitarist and songwriter, and resenting him for it.

11. exactly :)

i have a version of it on my hendrix cd called "rare as love" which is probably just the record company trying to make a quick buck on hendrix, but it has a bunch of rare songs on my, killing floor being one of them. I actually first saw it on a VH1 show, where they showed a clip of that song...i was hooked :)

i think both were very good bass players, and (i don't know if i can explain what i am trying to say :)) both were perfect for their respective hendrix era. When hendrix first came out, with songs like purple haze and hey joe and killing floor, noel was playing what i wouldn't think billy would play...on the other hand, after that time, jimi started to play (what i consider) slower, more gooving pieces, and billy cox was excellent at that, and i don't think noel could have played like that...

personally this might even be a little bit of Jaco vs. Hamm :) both were excellent bassists in their own right...

i still like noel's tone better though :)

12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... Billy Cox ... :D

13. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    That would further explain the vast difference in styles between Cox And Noel. IMHO most 'guitarist who happen to play bass' seem to approach the instruments similar rythmically; where as true bassists seem to settle into deeper grooves. It's a difference in syncopation to me.

Guitarist, while aptly skilled, just can't groove!:spit: :D :spit: :D

14. Well I go with Jimi's original jamming buddy from his Army days, Billy Cox purely because Jimi had already setup a musical rapport as well as a friendship with him. They knew each other more musically than the relationship he had with Noel Redding. Billy had more groove and soul to match up with Jimi. I purely believe Jimi played Bass on 2 tracks of Electric Ladyland namingly, "All Along The Watchtower" and "1983 A Merman I turn to be" because he was none to happy with Noel's ability to fulfil his wish to create the kind of Backbeat he aspired for those tracks to be what he wanted them to be. You imagine what it would be like if Billy was there right from the start?

15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I've always thought "Gypsy Eyes", "Long Hot Summer Night" and "Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland" sound like Jimi on bass, too.

16. I used to not care for Noel Redding. I thought "Cream have Jack Bruce, Jimi should have found someone comparable." Lately I have found a new respect for him (If 6 Was 9).

Still, I voted for Cox. He's a badass!

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Cox is the better bassplayer, but Redding fitted the bill for the experience in an excellent way. The fact though that Jimi played a lot of bass on the studioalbums makes me vote Billy Cox.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Redding was alright but Billy Cox jammed!

Band of Gypsys is my favorite Hendrix album by....Miles, ho ho ho.

19. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Which Miles...Buddy or Davis?