Dare I say the "I" word. SR885 owners oppinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Dec 12, 2001.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

I'm considering a used Ibanez SR885 5 string. I play in drop D and want to go lower in our original band. I've played a USA made Hamer 5 and actually sold it pretty quick. It just felt too *clunky*. I need a compact instrument that fits my small hands. The 885 comes to mind. For about $400 used with case I think I might give it a go. I'll hate to give up my EMG's but maybe the Ibanez will be liveable. I play hard rock so I'm not so sure the wobble or lack of exact intonation of the 34" neck will affect me. I will have to part with my Spector NS4CR to fund the Ibanez. I could tune the Spector to BEAD and that isn't out of the question just yet. Anyway, I'm still in the *thinking* mode. I know there are bunch of you playing the 885. So, tell me what you think. Does it deliver?
    Cgar likes this.
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If you already have a spector, I wouldn't go down in "goodness" to get a 5 string. If you do need to go low, then I think BEAD tuning might be your answer. Try it, and see if you like it.
  3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think it would be crazy to trade a beautiful Spector for a SR885...you will regret that!!!
  4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I was afraid people were gonna start the Spector vs. Ibanez thing. Well, I could go BEAD. But, that would mess up the brass nut on the Spector for sure -- so no going back. Now I could invest in the NS5CR. Tough to find used. Money is a big consideration here. Considering I'm probably going to get twice for my used Spector what I'll end up paying for the Ibanez adds to the attractive ness. Still if the Ibanez is total crap then what's the point. But, I have played them before and found the 4 string neck to be too thin but the 5 might be just right. I don't think I've played the Spector 5 but I'd bet it's a little beefy. Oh well thanks for adding to my confustion. : (
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not just buy yourself a good five-string?
  6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Mostly money and the fact that most five strings I've played have too wide a board for my tastes. The Ibanez was attractive in that it "felt" like a four but had the extra range of a five. I play hard rock. I see that alot of people on these boards indulge in some of the more skillfull styles so every little element of the instrument might be a consideration. Really, I need a bass that is loud, makes tons of low end, and is light and manageable enough to allow me to continue to put on a very energetic stage show. So, all I'm saying is I might have different goals then some of you.
    Cgar likes this.
  7. Once upon a time I bought one for many of the same reasons you're considering. I grew out of it real fast... I remember it not being very loud or having tons of low end. It was comfortable (at the time) and light weight.

One thing you may want to consider, if you're guitar players are playing in dropped D, you may have to drop to ADADG... it can be hard to double some riffs that are written in dropped tuning. The Ibanez won't like that!

Either way, if you like it, and it works... buy it. you can always sell it when you grow out of it. ;)
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i was watcing a scott henderson instructional video from 91 yesterday and for the life of me, i cant figure out why gary willis is playing that ibanez. the one he was playing before the single pickup bass looks pretty much like a stock 885 other than the barts.
  9. Awww man...I gotta say it!

What choo talkin' 'bout??????
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey! It works for Fieldy!:p

I have a Soundgear 506 that doesn't get played much anymore. It sounds pretty good unplugged, but the pickups and preamp are crap. It's the weakest sounding of any of my basses.
  11. LMAO!!! :D
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    too tempting, i understand. chaka zulu and oj simpson had me rolling.
  13. I have an 886. It was one of the first non-high-end 6-strings around when I got it. It plays great but it doesn't have a great tone. It sounds good with new strings but doesn't have much twang when they go dead.

I had it converted to a fretless a while back. I have a 7-string fretless now so I'm thinking about selling it. Here's a pic:

I'd like to get $400 for it ( plus a brand new hard-shell cass ) at least. It has a couple of flaws but is in generally good condition. Any takers?

- Dave
  14. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I had one for a couple of months. Very comfortable neck for the left hand, strings too close for my right hand, weak, boring tone. Traded it when I purchased a Roscoe. That was going from the worst-sounding bass I ever owned to the best b string in the business.

Considering what you said, an old BB5000 might do better for you, if you could find one. Cost about the same.

15. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    be gone with the ibanez bashers...

i play on an 885 (egads). it's a nice bass for the price (especially if you're buying used), although i must admit, i'm about to upgrade after xmas. i haven't had any problems with mine at all (i.e. electronics), and the b isn't all that bad. but don't listen to my 17+ years of experience, cause i play my 885 (egads, again) through a hartke head and cab (omg!!), and neither of these seem to get any respect around here...
  16. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hmmm. You know strange thing is that everybody over at Harmony Central loves the 885. Since Korn plays one they must be kick ass right? I mean those guys can play ANY instrument they want and they choose off the shelf Ibanez's. RIGHT??

But seriously, maybe I'll investigate the Spector NS5CR. That should be a real nice bass. I won't get to pocket any money but I might be real happy. I did happen to check out a Keith Roscoe 5 string. It was real nice black with a maple board. Perfect combination (looks wise) for me. I didn't plug it in. It was like $2,200 or so.

Still thinking but thanks to all you have given their advice.

This is really a great site for any bass player.

17. Used is the key. Go ask Brad Johnson :D.

Try and find a used Peavey Cirrus 5. You won't regret that.
  18. Yo Kurt--funny you mention these two brands. I just got a Roscoe yesterday, and was thinking about what I could sell to make up for it, and the one that I remembered was the Spector NS5CR. Mine's black and I might be selling it soon. Send me an email if you would like dibs.
  19. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    fc I sent you mail I'd be interested in your NS5CR. Yeah you guys have all but talked me out of the Ibanez. Which is a good thing because you've helped me make a decision. I'm not ready to give up the EMG's if I upgrade to a Spector 5 I won't have to.

To the guy up a few posts who plays a Hartke. I used to use their 4.5XL cab. Once day it developed a cracking sound. I took it apart for the first time. I was surprised! What a TOTAL PIECE OF JUNK. The speaker baskets were crap -- not heavy and cast like say SWR. No quality binding posts they looked like they came from Radio Shack. The speakers were screwed right through the wood no blind nuts. I never did fix the cracking sound. Once again to anyone searching these threads for Hartke -- they are trash. (my opinion)