1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darin Huff Basses... Worth all that?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crash 56, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Ran into a D bass here in a pawnshop, great woodwork, neck and sound, but 3400 dollars? I would almost do it, but probably could not get any support from the builder, after reading the online stuff out there. Opinions?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know the details of the apparently ongoing situation with this person, but why would a builder be expected to do anything about a bass he built that sold in a pawn shop?

allenhumble and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Its not that he would be expected to do anything, but It would be good to be able to get information about the instrument, and\or hire him for further work on it if necessary.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida

I wouldn’t chance it. Huff has mental problems.

Probably best to stay clear of his stuff.

If it’s a nice bass and you can handle the $$$$ just about anybody could work on it.

But Huff is out of it.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have read many disparaging remarks about his character, but little or nothing criticizing his work.

Universal opinion seems to be that when he chose to work, his basses were excellent.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Based on his reputation alone, that bass would have to call to me in a very special way for me to pull the trigger. Resale would likely not be that high. So you better hope you LOVE it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  7. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Never mind the builder or his lousy reputation, I wouldn't hand a pawnshop $3400.00 for anything. :rollno:

El-Bob, RSBBass, howlin and 31 others like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why not contact the guy and ask about it?

9. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    MDBass, cataract, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you've got $3400 in your pocket, I'd look elsewhere.

Riis

12. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Considering all that, I may try to offer them considerably less. It really is a sweet, sweet player. " What do you mean there is no case? I couldn't pay more than 2K for a bass with no case!"

El-Bob likes this.
  13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I wouldn't put money anywhere near that person, and I have no previous experience with him.

14. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pretty sure if you breeze through that thread, you won't have questions anymore.

15. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    sounds like that pawnshop is not going to be in business for long.. if the retail is 3400 then they probably paid too much.

16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I'd go far lower. Chance are they got it off someone desperate, maybe Huff himself given he is/was based in Spokane, and it's a small place without a great deal of wealth or bassists so they're unlikely to get (m)any other offers anywhere near their asking price much less $2k.

They'd probably be making 2-5x their money at $1000. 10x wouldn't surprise me at all.

Or at least ensure it isn't stolen and ask for proof of what they paid. You hold all the cards here, I believe, since there's effectively no market for the brand and the only current info online is probably the horror thread here. Worth keeping in mind if you buy it, as you might become a seller at some point.

mcarp555, SirMjac28 and Templar like this.
  17. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    I'm pretty sure it's on consignment (I could be wrong though), and that bass has been there for quite some time. Yes, Huff is in Spokane, or at least he was the last time I checked out his FB page.

I realize that to come back from a fall from grace, a person has to be able to sell their wares, but I'm not interested in his basses at that price. So much legitimate and excellent competition in the custom/semi-custom market dulls my enthusiasm for his work.

Good luck Crash, don't be too hasty.

cool breeze likes this.
  18. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I doubt that it's stolen, since there are a finite number of pawnshops here, and the state requires a lot of verification before they can buy anything. A cop told me once that most stolen stuff gets trucked out of town immediately. You have a good point about the resale value. I may try a stupidly lowball offer... Hopefully I end up with an NBD photo for this thread!

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

But taking all factors into consideration, how much credence would you be willing to give any answers you received?

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    The only way I'd handle that would be to drive over to his place and stand there while he does the work.

Papalampraina and TheMinutemen like this.