Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark areas on Warwicks explained

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This has been around for some time, but only the method how to make it disappear was known and not what causes it - but I think I have figured it out

Sometime ago I noticed how the place where I rest my arm was getting just a bit darker - and I thought that it was sweat and the oil-finish that made it. Then I discovered that the bottom was getting a bit darker, too, and the horns. Then I though: that is strange, I rarely have contact with these parts, so is it possible that there is another reason?

A few days ago my bass was lying on the bed, and the room was well lit with the sun shining outside (it wasnt at home, in my room I'm too lazy to raise the shutter :D :oops: ) and as I was coming I saw that the top of the headstock was darker then the neck and the side of the headstock!

Then I realized what it was that had contact with these areas that could make it discolour a bit: THE GIGBAG!!!
    To be more precise, the foam in the bag.
    I keep my bass in its bag because I have not much space in my room - and would not hang it on the wall (what if it falls :eek: ). but now that I know it, I dont mind it that much...
    Think of it... in some more years I'll have a blackburst Corvette, who else has one :D :cool:

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    seems reasonable, i wont put my thumb NT on its gigbag or flightcase once i get it

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Its not as bad, and as I said, blackburst is getting trendy ;) :smug:

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    BTW from the other thread, are you sure you're going Thumb? I have a Corvette and I'm planning on getting a Jerzy Drozd Mastery 6 in the future... but, of course, with bubinga! :D

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I think its a new color for the chart "stiky-dirt shadowburst"

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I think i'll go with the thumb mostly because i like the wood, the price, and because I dont know the name of the black wood used in that norstrand thats on its web. I do know that its xpensive

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Since its open-grained and oil/wax-finished, its much more like finish than dirt (and its also absorbed by the finish, so it is actually part of the finish) - it will only come off with sanding, but then the finish will also come off...

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    **** i like warwick because with their oil finish and their wax i wouldnt have to worry about those horribles scratches that my 2 basses have!!!! but know i know this :crying:

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, everything has a backside... but it may be because of that specific foam, I have seen many Ws without that darkening.
    But as I said, its barely noticable and I think now that it even looks cool.