1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark Eyed Cajun Woman

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by DRafalske, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I think I'm playing the intro wrong. Can anyone clarify it for me?

Thanks!

Dave

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    G A D E C D G A (2x)

The first two notes are played on the D string, the next four on the A string and the final two on the E string.

JimK likes this.
  3. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Yep. I was playing it wrong.

Thanks!

4. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That's a handy little riff to keep in your toolkit as you can use it in part or in total when you improv bass parts. :bassist: :smug:

Are you in a band that is covering that tune or are you learning it for other purposes. "Dark Eyed Cajun Woman" is one of my most favorite tunes to play live. :cool:

5. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I'm in a band that covers that. I've played it live many, many times but it always sounded a little off to me. I was close, but what you gave me is spot on.

It's one of my favorite songs too.

We just started doing "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and I think it's my new favorite. :bassist: What a fun song to play and the crowds always go nuts at that first change.:D

Dave

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I love that tune!
    Such a funky feel when you lay off of the one :)

7. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    After 20+ years of playing bass I've just begun to realize just how FUNKY the Doobies bass playing really is. . . . . :bassist:

:cool:

8. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Agreed.:cool: :bassist:

9. FireBlueDragon

FireBlueDragon

Mar 29, 2016
    hi, is there some place i can go where find the rest of thebass parts love song trying to learn it, self teaching my self, new at bass playing off and on for 2 years now i have more time to practice.

10. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I couldn't tell you. My style of playing when covering songs is to start with the basic chord chart and improv from there. Sometimes I play very close to the original artist, sometimes not. On Dark Eyed Cajun Woman I'm playing way different from the recording.

Your best bet is to search:

"[song title] chord chart"

11. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    You will find a ton of bass transcriptions here. Lots of Doobies Bros transcriptions, including Dark Eyed Cajun Woman:

Transcription Archive