1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark Horse at the Norfolk Farmers Market

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RCH, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RCH

RCH

May 24, 2015
    This was my first gig with this band. They were mostly bluegrass, but have expanded to a diverse song list. First time I've been in a drummerless band and it's a different vibe when you don't have a drummer to sync with NorfolkFarmersMarket1. . I won't know who to fire if things go badly. First time I've played with a banjo player who uses a wah -wah pedal during solos. Also first gig with the Kay K162 reissue with TI flats. I like the feel, and the sound fits this group perfectly ( I actually bought it for jazz). My wife snapped a couple of photos during sound check. It was a great farmers' market and an appreciative crowd and we got four probable future gigs out of it. We weren't fed, but I got a great spinach/feta croissant from a local bakery booth. I can't take a picture when I'm eating with both hands. Not a big impressive gig, but we had a great time and a good day. NorfolkFarmersMarket2. NorfolkFarmersMarket3.

Stevorebob, dbase, Road Hat and 20 others like this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    What state?

3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Small gigs in cool settings like that are a ton of fun. :thumbsup:

I played sans drummer for many years. I remember it being strange at first. Pretty soon it was just normal and I liked the freedom and the lower volume. When I started playing with a drummer again a few years ago THAT felt strange. Now it feels normal again, so does the volume :laugh:

4. RCH

RCH

May 24, 2015
    Connecticut in the NW hills.

nixdad and Bunk McNulty like this.
  5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, found your zip code in your profile - didn't see at a first and/or didn't know what it was LOL. There's a Dark Horse band up in Worcester, MA that used to be a full time agency band, formed around 1970 and still together. They used to tour the Northeast but it's been a while since they went part-time. Their drummer is in one of my bands - won't be firing him LOL.
    NEMO - The Definitive Resource: Dark Horse

dbase and nixdad like this.
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Love the Kay! I play in a drummer-less old time band, (actually, the fiddler is a phenomenal rock drummer), and it's a hoot. I've played in several groups where I am the primary rhythm instrument. Odd at first, but gets feeling pretty natural after a bit. Makes me that much better with a drummer!

Love Farmers Market gigs! Looks like you had great weather :D

-robert

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. @RCH,

HA! :smug:

This looks like a cool little gig. I think I like your bass. May we see a couple more pictures of it? Thanks for sharing your gig with us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase, pjbassist and nixdad like this.
  8. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    drummer fired?

9. Fire the banjo!

nixdad likes this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Actually, with no drummer, most players will rely on the mandolin "chop" as their time keeper. If you have a mandolin player of course. Most of the bluegrass and hillbilly players i know say they set their time by the mandolin. A few prefer bass but most follow the mando.

11. RCH

RCH

May 24, 2015
    As per your request, some photos of the Kay. This Kay was made in China and the fit and finish are excellent. It is short scale with a thin and fast neck. I mostly play with a pick, but I'll finger it on some songs and it really can have a sound similar to an upright. DSCN0911.JPG DSCN0912.JPG DSCN0913.JPG

12. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Looks like a fun gig. I played our local farmers' Market Saturday with my bluegrass(y) trio. I use an NS NXT4 electric upright which works pretty well for bluegrass, the sustain and decay are very similar to a DB.

Love the trio format, my two bandmates switch off between guitar and banjo and the both sing lead and add a little harmonica and fiddle. Three keeps it simple and makes everyone work a little harder.

nixdad likes this.
  13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beautiful bass! Nice flame top and tort accents, and that headstock is da bomb.

McG and foolforthecity like this.
  14. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Beautiful looking bass.

I haven't played with a drummer for several years.

Wah on banjo......doesn't the banjo sound bad enough! j/k

McG and pjbassist like this.
  15. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    congrats on the new gig. groups and gigs like that are fun. Sounds like the group is open to some "artistic expression" (banjo with wah). That kind of openness is great on top of a more "traditional" foundation. Makes things fun, and keeps em interesting.

I used to be in a band that looked like that, but with a mando instead of a banjo. We started out playing on fridays at a dog daycare... people would come pick up their dogs after work and have a happy hour. Great times, and the band eventually added a drummer and steel guitar player.

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thanks! Wow! What a beautiful bass! It would be cool to add one of those to my arsenal. It would be great for jazz fakebook gigs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase and Sore Thumb like this.
  17. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Mando chop so important to bluegrass. It's the snare drum of bluegrass. When mando solos, banjo and fiddle take over the chop in a well organized band.

18. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Nice bass! Looks like a pretty day to play outside too :)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah...looked too nice for Norfolk, VA.

20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That's a gorgeous looking bass...