Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Side Of The Moon

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 6, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I was watching the history of rock and roll last night on VH1 and they a bit on there about Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. I know this was a concpet album. Call me out of it, but I have no idea what the album is about or what the concept even is. The album loses me from time to time. Whats the concept and meaning of the album? And please, no Wizard of Oz comments :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Although it's a bit loose, I think that it's really supposed to be about madness (insanity) this is what the "Dark Side" refers to. But I think it extends to the madness inherent in society (later themes in the Wall) rather than just personal insanity.

3. I remember hearing the story about the album a long time ago. It is about madness, but more specifically about one of the band members madness. One of the original members of Pink Floyd ended up being committed. I can't remember if he ended up killing himself or not.

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Oh, then you are talking about Syd Barrett. He was committed for a while but he is better now and lives in Cambridge.

5. That's his name, couldn't remember for the life of me. Must have been 20 years ago that I heard that story.

6. ohh i thought it was the sound track to the wizard of oz

7. Bruce Lindfield

I think you are referring to the album "Wish you were here" which is mostly taken up by a long track called "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" which is very clearly and specifically about Syd Barrett.

Dark Side is more about generic madness in society - so like "Money" is about inherent greed, "Time" is about the way we rush about all the time to no real purpose, "Us and Them" is about divisions and war etc, etc. Syd isn't mentioned or alluded to specifically in "Dark Side" as he is in the later "Shine on..." but there's no doubt his madness had deeply affected the band.

8. I've always thought that Dark Side of the Moon was about the dark side (stupid unintentional puns :)) of society. Each song address a particular aspect of society such as seeking wealth, contemplating death, working, the fear of aging and the road to modern madness. They are separate and yet together they form what is today's brave new world.

If you have know idea what I'm talking about, think of the cover with each song being a "colour" of the whole society (the light) and the colours outlined by the music and lyrics of Pink Floyd (prism).

Derek J. Power

P.S. On a humorous note, I remember a time where I came very close to punching someone square in the face because he thought that Pink Floyd were gay (homosexual). His reasons: the use of a rainbow, the triangle and the fact that they are called "PINK". Dumbfreak! :)

And no they're not gay (even with the artwork) and PINK FLOYD refers to Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, two blues artists that Syd was found of at the time.

9. Bruce Lindfield

That's exactly what I meant by the "generic madness in society". I used to have this album on vinyl, but got the 20 anniversary edition when it came out and this is one of the examples where to me, the CD sounds a lot better - you can actually hear all the little "asides" that were a bit obscured on vinyl - a lot of Ron Geesin's "mad" aphorisms! ;)

It's very nicely presented as well with postcards, lyric sheets etc.

10. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    Pink floyd rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    HEHE what you need to do is roll up a big fat joint then listen to it again! Turn the light off and turn it up and get toasted! Thats how we used to do it! I think it might make a little more since to ya then! But you might not remember the next day?

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dark Side was the album that turned me off to Pink Floyd. zzzzzzzz

Gimme their first few and I am a happy boy.

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Acacia, I'm halfway between the new and old. I prefer Meddle, but at least on Dark Side they learned how to sing for once! I love the older stuff musically, but I reallllly got iritated with their vocals back then. No wonder they did more instrumentals! :rolleyes: