1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dark sounding 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderthrupeave, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I have a one 15 that has plenty out low end that I like but its a really bright cab, and I was planning on adding a 210 or mybe a 212 to it. and now I am on the look out but I want something that has more of a mid bump and not to bright. any suggestions?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What amp are you using? And, what 15"er?

3. ampeg svt3 and a peavey 115 with a BW

4. Aguilar DB210???

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    does your 15" loaded cab have a tweeter? if so, turn that sucker down!

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

There's no way a 210 won't give you brighter sound than a 115. Unless the 115 is made of aluminum.

7. nope no tweeter on the 15 thats what I looked for first.

8. thats a silly remark. 15's can be plenty bright, 10's can be plenty dark.

9. I am gonna second my Aguilar DB rec. definitely will get your mid bump with one of those.

10. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    I'd say an Acme b2, it's not inherently "dark", but there is a ton of low end behind it.

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I was going to say 'UL210' but it's the same....lots of lows, not lack of highs.

12. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Dark? Mesa Powerhouse 210.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    k,

i think most any 2x10 w/ a tweeter will work. turn down that tweeter, and you'll get that dark sound you're looking for.

but again, its awesome that you found a 15" that's "bright". most are really dark and muddy for me, and a big reason why i dont gig regularly with one.

of the recommendations, i'll add some chump change:

- epifani is a maybe. really detailed thx to the tweeter, and while the tweeters turned down gives a dark sound, its still got that epifani woody detail.
    - acme b2 is a maybe. thick fat sound, but it might be loud enough to keep up at louder volumes.
    - aguilar db is a yes for that really middy middle sound. you want mids, you got 'em! but keep in mind, they're not a lower mid punch kinda mids, but a ball peen hammer right in the middle mids. depends if you want that. also, from what i remember, its a pretty penny.
    - no idea w/ the mesa.

another idea is an epifani performance 2x10, which thankfully wont break your bank. thick fat sound, but not nearly as midranged as the db. turn down the tweeter, and the epifani gives you a more lower gut leveled lower mid punch. this vs. the more chest middle mids punch of the db.

another idea is a schroeder 1210L or a 1212L. small compact box, with a ton of mids from the middle to the lower mids. the tweeter is razor sharp, but that's what the tweeter knob is for.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, in my experience I've found 15s to be darker than 10s. For some reason they have more bass, less mids, and more treble - which is why I almost exclusively use 10s and 12s.

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ben, that's exactly what I was saying... I just used a double negative with roundabout speech. Duh. :)

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Bergantino HT210 with the tweeter turned down.

17. thanks for all the ideas, anything on the cheaper end of the spectrum?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    avatar? just turn down the tweeter? course, i wouldnt order a 2x10 without one, cause you never know if you sell it.

19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Is that anything like contradicting yourself while using inverse logic?

:confused: