Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Sounding Tuning

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Angus, Jul 16, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sorry, i know you guys get excessive posts about tuning, but i figure i better ask the best! I was wondering if either of you would know a good tuning that gives a minor, dark sound. Im going to experiment with this on my fretless, as i dont use it in gigs, i use my (much loved) Modulus. Could you guys help with this? Im going to compose something on the fretted, and would like it to sound somwhat darker, but not necessarily completely detuned. Its a 5 string, by the way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    There are many, many tunings that will give you some cool dark tonalities..If you're just going to play single notes, standard tuning is probably fine, but altered tunings offer some very nice possibilities for chords and harmonics. Think about what key you want to play in and try looking for tunings that might give you the best colors. A few that come to mind that you might want to try are: BEBEF#, BEBDG, BEAEG, BF#BDF#, CEbGDG, CDAEG, BDADE, BDADF, BDAEF...

Or restring your 5-string with a high string instead of a low B and try these: DADAC, DADAD, DADGA, DABbFC DADEA, DADAC, C#G#D#EC#, C#G#BG#E, C#G#C#G#C#, C#G#C#G#B...

Let us know how it goes!
    -Michael

3. D~C

D~C

Feb 21, 2007
    Yep, I'm resurrecting a 7-year-old thread. :)

Thought I might ask some more experienced musicians.

I tuned my 6-string bass (low to high) to:

B-D-A-D-F#-B

I was wondering how this might translate to a 6-string guitar tuned the same way? I realize it will change the placement of chords and scales on guitar, but is it just too weird and/or inconvenient? I'm experimenting with some alternate, dark-sounding tuning.

Thoughts appreciated.

4. for four string i use F#,A#,C#,F alot

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    As far as I’m concerned, nothing is too weird or inconvenient if it helps you to achieve your creative goals. Well… almost nothing!

6. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    What string gauges would you use to more accurately swap tunings??

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow, I opened this thread because I thought the title sounded stupid, and it turned out I asked the question...7 years ago!! :oops:

Slightly, slightly embarrassing.

Since then, though, I've been playing with tunings constantly!