1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dark star and Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 26, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Anyone here ever play a Dark Starred bass through a tube amp? Considering one but I've never played one through a tube amp.

I use a Mesa 400+

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have a Glaub with a Dark Star strung with Chromes. I spent about 45 minutes recently playing it through an old V4 and the sound was glorious--fat and round for days, with a bit of grit even at a modest volume. I wish I could have bought it that day.:atoz:

Also, at a mini-GTG, I had a chance to play the Glaub briefly through a B-15, another V4 and an SVT-CL. I also played my Fender P through the same amps. In each case, the high output of the DS appeared to push the amps into overdrive territory sooner than the "regular" P did. (But I don't know enough about tube amps to say that that's exactly what happened.)

Will that be true with the 400 as well? I'd be curious to find out myself. In any case, I love the Dark Star, and it sounds great through my Walkabout.