1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark Star for my '99 Casady Sig Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thaxt, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Thaxt

Thaxt

Mar 25, 2008

Like Fred Hammon himself, I'm a major Jack Casady, mid-era Airplane tonalist & inspired player. I have a '99 J C Signature bass, but, haven't quite been able to coax that Magical, Crown of Creation/Volunteers era tone out of it - tho, my Alembic strings,in conjunction w this bass' semi-hollow body, can come fairly close.

I wonder where the JC Bass' stock Electrar p'up stands in an A/B frequency shape test w Dark Stars, or the original Alembic innovations?

Has anyone out there put a Dark Star on a current model, Epi, Casady Bass? With what results?

It would seem that it's 34" scale would yield an even more formidable, unqiue low end then the 30" scale Guild SF Bass II Jack was using.

I'm aware of the (tube OD) involved w the Versatone amp. I have the schematic of my current JCB..looks like it was designed to employ a passive RLC notch filter to replicate the notch created by the extreme end placement of the Alembic pickups, as well as the stereo separation involved in its sound.

Any feedback out there on this?

Thanx -

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    worked this mod for a TBer back in 2006 IIRC

original bass
    EpiJackCassidyUpgrade_1_AsItCame.

departing bass
    EpiJackCassidyUpgrade_11a_NewInstal.
    EpiJackCassidyUpgrade_11c_NewInstal.
    EpiJackCassidyUpgrade_13_ReadyToRol.

I wrote a step-by-step on this conversion, but I can't recall if I published it here or at the old DudePit v2 (before everything got wiped)

same story for a mod job I worked on an Ibanex Artcore

ArtcoreDS-3Upgrade_M.
    ArtcoreDS-3Upgrade_L.

all the best,

R

3. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    I'd assume you loose the use of the impedance dial thing/knob?

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    nope, the Vari-Tone is wired into the circuit in place of the traditional tone cap. adjusting the regular tone knob works as usual. adjusting the knob on the Vari-Tone selects the cap value that is being utilized by the standard tone knob

simple to hook-up - even simpler to use

you can see the Vari-Tone knob below the f-hole on the Cassady

all the best,

R

5. Thaxt

Thaxt

Mar 25, 2008
    How is the low end on the JCB you've fitted w the Dark Stars? Anything akin to the 'Crown/Volunteers' Casady era sound?

Got to get those Pyramid Gold strings (!) - people seem to feel that they are an ultimate kind of match w the Casady bass for sheer lows.

6. Thaxt

Thaxt

Mar 25, 2008
    Since the DS pickups are both hi-impedance, & have no preamp/notch filter built onto them, I find that there are plenty of good preamp circuits & schematics out there to (possibly)add onto this bass arrangement. (I've been building my own pedals for quite a while now.)

The Boscorelli Stompbox Cookbook has a neat passive notch filter that is continuously tuneable via a pot - it's based around a 250K, dual-gang pot, wired in conjunction w 2 resistors & 2 capacitors..obviously very tweakable & tuneable. I would consider building one of those in if I used the Dark Star.

I did have the idea of placing the DS just ABOVE the stock Electrar pickup - hence, even deeper low end. I wonder if this is even necessary, tho -

It's that intial transient attack ( ! ) in (Casady's) struck notes...Alembic's onboard preamps, interacting w the Versatone amp, the Pyramid Golds, & the actual shape of the Guild SF B II. Again, nothing quite like it

7. Thaxt

Thaxt

Mar 25, 2008
    "Cats purr at 26 Hz...the resonating purr vibration has been shown to have healing properties on a cellular level"

- bigcatrescue.com

8. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    That's a pretty rare book, do you have a scanned version you could e-mail to me?
    Thanks!

Best regards,

Jarno.

9. Mungi

Mungi

Nov 6, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would try TI-flats instead of Pyramid Gold.

Btw, if you do this mod, please let me buy your Casady pickup.