1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark Star Pickup...in a MusicMan?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattylowdown4, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mattylowdown4

mattylowdown4

Aug 8, 2011
    New York
    I love MusicMan Stingrays. I love the build quality, the feel, the look, the dimensions, the truss rod adjustment.
    I have one from the mid 90s (the best era I think).
    I love the Dark Star pickup too. Had one in a Sting P bass. Loved the sound. Recorded so well and set excellently in the mix for my roots rock gigs.
    I have one layin' round' and have always thought that it would be a great complement to a Stingray and would indeed give me all I ever wanted from a bass. Basically a Music Man with a more organic sound. Why have i never seen this done? Am I nuts? I would suspect that the DS would not pair well with the EB preamp and would assume to replace the electronics with a basic passive v/T setup. Should I be talked out of this?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    It should work really well, with the preamp included even. The only reason you don't see it done is that it will seriously degrade the resale value of your 'Ray. But if that doesn't matter to you, then I say go for it!

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Doesn't sound like a match to me.