Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Star Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by main_sale, Jan 8, 2006.

1. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm intreagued by these pickups and have been thinking about putting a pair into a Epi EB-3. Has anyone had any experience they can share with me. I also have an original Guild Starfire II that sounds kind of dead to me. Would installing a set of Dark Stars perk it up?

2. Fred Hammon, creator of the dark stars, is a TBer and often comes on to answer questions about his products.

I'd suggest you go to his site www.hammoneng.com and do a little research.

I've never heard them, but from what I have read, dark stars are a single-coil pickup that give a clear response over a wide frequency range. In other words, dark stars will not "color" your sound the way many 'buckers do.

I can see many applications where this would be quite a desireable thing (hollow bodies come to mind as one example).

also, check out discussions at the dude pit (http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit) as well.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Dark Stars rule! I'm about a week away from ordering a Lakland Bob Glaub with one in it. They've got a huge, thick sound, and they're very clear. Definitely a strong version of the P-type sound.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yum!

[​IMG]

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just can't help showing them off, can you, Bud?

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Now that is fantastic! How would you describe the sound?

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Very un-Jbass like. Very un-soapbar like. Very un-Musicman like. Mildy, and I mean midly, P-bass like. Less hotter than I thought they might be, which is good. Not cheap sounding. Very clear. Very quiet. More versitile than I thought they would be. Not muddy at all. Very different. Very enjoyable.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

OK, now that's just mean!:mad: ;)

9. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

that bass looks awesome!!! i'd maybe chance the stype of the bridge.. but thats me personally. that bass is very ...how should i say.... i dont know.. but it looks very good :hyper:

10. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Did we already discuss the idea of using plain brass surrounds, Bud?
    Personally I hate gold hardware but this brass will oxidize to a nice redish brown patina....maybe a good match with the wood.

[​IMG]

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, we did. Are those brass? The look chrome on my screen. I'm not big on gold either. I'm diggin' the black and chrome. I'll have to think of a good wood combo that would go with a matching brass bridge too. Maybe a goncalo alves top.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are these comparable to Wal pickups or no?

13. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    They look similar but they're really an entirely different animal altogether.
    Wals are buckers right? Dark Stars are single coil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine

What are the measurements of these pickups in mm? I can't find it anywhere... Thanks