1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark Star sound; could it be had from this Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seang15, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Yes, it is uncannily similar! GREAT FIND! Saves me some $$

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. What are you smoking, dude?

50 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Hi folks,

I know, I know...those of you that already have these pups, will say "No way on God's Green Earth can you get the DS sound from anything but DarkStar." Or something similar.

And: I am not sure I will find somebody who both owns a DS pup and one of these:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/007-3880-000.jpg

And will comment on it? (This is the pup found in the current Tele bass offerings by Fender (double) and Squier (single) basses.)

Everything I have heard on YT and other sources of the two pups just strikes me as similar. Note that, I am "fairly" new to enjoying this kind of tone; long-time (LONG TIME) jazz pup lover here. And that hasn't changed :) But my motherbucker in my ATK is making me look at different pups and offerings (MM, soapbars, etc.). And these pups listed here as well do strike my fancy.

Thanks in advance for any info, debates, heated arguments, threats, defamation lawsuits, etc. :)

Sean :bassist:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's not made anything like a Hagstrom Bi-Sonic (Or DarkStar). Bi-Sonics are fairly under wound single coils (about 6K).

That Fender pickup is a humbucker and will a lot darker sounding than a Bi-Sonic.

3. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry dude, I laughed out loud a little at that. No offense, it's just that they are entirely different animals. That Fender Mudbucker will sound nothing like the Bi-sonic or its descendants. Ever heard the old Gibson humbuckers? Like Jack Bruce, Andy Fraser? It will be way more similar to that. If I recall the Fenders are a little more focused, but still, high output, dark, and fat sounding. The Bi-Sonic is a very open, wide-spectrum pickup, fairly clear across most of the frequency range.

Now, I'm not saying the Fender TEB101B is a bad pickup, it just does its thing, and the Bi-Sonic does its thing, and both of them are very different from each other.

4. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I think you have a misconception here, what is called "hearing with the eyes". Surely the DS looks like a big pickup, similar in size to a mudbucker, but it isn't a mudbucker.

5. they work diffrently. darkstars sound verry clean because of the low output where as thats a big muddy humbucker

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    that fender 4-pole isn't a mudbucker, either. it's a split P-style pickup under a chrome cover.

7. Low output??

I've got a Darkstar in a Mexican P-Bass and a DPLEII, and when I unplug my active Lakland Jerry Scheff 5 and plug in either Darkstar bass, there is not much difference in output at all. I don't have to flip the input level switch on any amp that I've used. That has always amazed me about the Darkstar basses, that they are almost as hot as an active bass.

8. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Not sure I've ever seen a poll on TB as one-sided as this one.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm trying to figure out who voted yes.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There's really no reason to presume that a preamp will automatically result in greater output. I would venture a guess that a company like Lakland would specifically set up the pickups preamp to keep an average output.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Actually they are not split coil, but humbuckers:

[​IMG]

310303971059Two-1.

12. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    OP voted Yes Lolol!! :)

Edit: but he's feeling MUCH better now, folks. Thanks for the help!!

13. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
  14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I voted yes just because of this post.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    You bastige! You are tampering with the scientific accuracy of a TalkBass poll! How can this not result in utter chaos?

I only hope you can live with the guilt.

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    dangit now i want one!

17. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

Indeed. When my luthier installed my Dagstar, he commented on how similar the pickup is to P-90s. Here is the Dagstar (Mini version), which is essentially a stripped down Bi-Sonic without the fancy pole adjustment mechanism. You can see that the actual size of the pickup is much less than a larger humbucker.

2012-08-08022718.

18. beside this mines get the same iron core as the bisonic and darkstar ones which is bassically the only difference with the P90 design P1010747.

19. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I figured they had to be - I noticed that on my new VD Tele Bass (with one of these in the bridge) that the wiring is 4-wire. You can bet that I'll be playing with coil-tapping on this bass...

20. links?