Dark Star thumb rest ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basadam, Jul 8, 2008.

1. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  2. i've got one on my lakland hollowbody. works great. no complaints.

3. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    that's what's on my DPLE II and it works fine--I'm not sure if it's really needed though--depends on how comfortable you are anchoring your thumb in differnt positions/places.

4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Thanks. I am definitely not comfortable anchoring my thumb on the edge of Dark Star. The best thumb rest I've ever used is the B string on a 5-string bass :) seriously. Other than that a P pickup works just fine.

Any other - and hopefully less costly ideas?

5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    LOL re: B-string--that's what I tell my 5 string friends! I've found I can rest my thumb just about anywhere--edge of pickups, end of neck, p/g etc. You may need something more substantial to suit your style.

6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I think that's the one Fred Hammon himself has -- if it is, I used it sitting in with his band a couple of weeks back it was pretty cool....

7. i guess the one true advantage is that it does no damage to your bass. you don't have to drill into the top. if you decide you don't like it, you take it off and there's no damage done.

8. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    I have two of these on my dual-DS jazz. They are great! I came back to 4 string bass from a 5 and this thumb rest really helped a lot. The only possible problem that I've heard someone mention is that it lowers the amount of clearance available to your strings. This posed absolutely no problems for me, but I did see this mentioned recently that it could affect basses with very low clearance.

9. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    yep - on a few basses I modded for clients adding this rest brought the pickup too close to the strings for their playing style.

cool idea that Roger has there, but YMMV depending on how you like you set-up

all the best,

R

10. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    I have the first one, on a P-bass. After emailing Roger with some ideas this is what he came up with. Works great, though I did shave down the height somewhat.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021