1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dark Starred P for Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Abington, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Abington

Abington

Dec 25, 2007
    I am thinking of purchasing a shortscale Precision copy from SX and sticking a darkstar pickup in that mofo.
    I am going to be using it to get used to fretless basses and also to start a forray into some jazz.
    I have heared and like d a bunch of darkstar soundclips, but I don't know if they are good for clear chordal stuff. (My mexican jazz certainly isn't)

Does anyone have any opinions on this bass for this use. Would I be better off with just finding a nice P pickup or maybe even putting the chunkier P neck on one of the Jazz bodies?

2. The Dark Star is amazing. It'll probably do what you want. If you like short-scale basses, you could put one in an EB-0--Dark Stars sound great in mahogany.

For clear chords, you could always keep an eye out for a used bass with a 2TEK bridge, like a Hamer Cruise (J-style). That will definitely do what you want.

My 2 cents,
    -GB