1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dark Stars a choice for Lakland, take it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I have always liked Dark Stars seeing Juan Alderete playing them. I don't know if I will like them. I'm pretty sure I will, but if I don't, I can't change pickups. Should I go with it? Could I always return the bass? I would put it with a John East preamp. I would either be getting Dark Stars or Aeros or Lindy Fralin.

Thanks

A
    r
    p
    e
    g
    g
    i
    :bassist:

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Also, are Nordstrands and good compared to Dark Stars?

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  4. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
  5. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    yummm a fenderbird

6. Well, you have to decide if you want a jazz bass sounding instrument or not, The Darkstars don't have the shape of jazz pick-ups they don't have the sound, they don't have anything in common with them appart that they are single coils.

All the other pickups you listed are jazz pickups. So try to fing samples and find what you are looking for.

Don't get pickups because Juan alderete has some. Unless you want to play in a mars volta cover band, try to find the sound you need.

7. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    He is a big reason, but I would still like Dark Stars if he didn't use them.

8. +100

9. Big difference in pickups there, hard to compare apples to oranges. Buy yourself a inexpensive mexi P bass, ir Kinsgton MTD and throw a DS in it. Of course, teh rest of your post made no sense (, cant change pickups, take it back... ???) I apologize if you have no arms or hands.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I would get the darkstars.
    They can turn watery spaghetti sauce into thick, healthy, beautiful chickensalad. IMO.

11. Well, if he goes the darkstar route, he won't be able to go back to regular J's, that's what he meant I think.

As I said earlier if you want a jazz bass sound try the J-pick-ups you listed if not and if you rally like darkstars, go for it. Also don't forget that Darkstars get pretty expensive, and you'll need to pay a luthier to route the cavities. If you plan putting them in a mim jazz bass, it might cost you the same as the bass itself.