Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Stars and 60 cycle hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Probably like many out there, I'm starting to develop serious GAS for a Lakland with one or two Dark Star pickups. I know they're single coils, so can anyone comment on the amount of 60 cycle hum these produce?

I know shielding will make a difference, but I'd appreciate any input, especially because I might want a Glaub with a single Dark Star.

I checked the Dark Star board at the Dudepit and didn't see anything on this topic.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

never had 'em and really don't hear much about them. Pop up periodically like this thread. If you haven't done a google search for "dark star pickup reviews" I'd do so cause there are a few reviews of them out there. Seems the ones I've heard most about are the Starfire replacement HB's.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fred Hammon (DS pickup designer) is active in the Pit forum and apparently good on emails... just shoot him a note and he'll let you know the deal ... and let us know what he says!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fred Hammon may be slow on response time right now. He's no longer taking orders for a while in order to complete the orders he has at the moment. He'd rather delay a few orders coming in than delay them going out.

5. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I registered and posted over in the Dude Pit, and Fred Hammon responded quickly. Basically, he just said they require proper shielding, and that in "really bad environments" you'll get some hum. Of course a bass with rw/rp pickups can prevent the hum, but I'm interested in a p-type bass with a single Dark Star.

So if anyone has experiences with these, I'm all ears. I have a DiPinto Belvedere with single coils, which does hum, but it's rarely obtrusive and I'm certainly willing to use the pickups solo at gigs. My Jazz bass was brutal, so I went noiseless. Based on Fred's description, I'd guess the Dark Stars are closer to the DiPinto, but it's tough to tell. Sure hope so if I just can't resist a Lakland Skyline Glaub with a Dark Star...

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if it's actually a split P pup then, depending on how the pup's made, you've effectively got an HB pup and can reverse the flow in one of the pups - or since he's making them then he should be able to wire it as such even if they're sealed after-the-fact.

7. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm pretty sure the Dark Star isn't a split coil design. These are slightly modified replications of the Hagstrom single coil pickups from the 1960's Guild Starfires.

I played a later model Starfire with humbuckers, which to my ears is probably the best sounding bass I've ever played, and most seem to think those pickups were a big step down from the Hagstroms. If so, these Dark Stars must sound incredible, and I just might have to go for it. Seriously, if you dig p-basses and like single coil tones, check out these Dark Star Lakland Skyline Glaubs over at the Dudepit. Wow. Just give wallet to significant other, and wear your gas mask!