Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Tone....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    As I posted in the new members thread, I used to be IcedEarthWOM but decided to change my handle.

Over the last week I've been listening to a lot of my CD collection and realized that I like the clean, but dark tone for bass, and decided to get a SansAmp Para Driver for that tone.

It'll be coming in 2-4 weeks and I'll let you guys know how it goes with soundclips.

It's funny, I spent the last 4 months (at least) trying to get the perfect distorted tone, and though I still like that tone, I've discovered that I love the clean/dark tone more. I'm also a little more inspired than I was. I've vowed to listen to music a little more than I have been.... :D

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think one of the best dark tones is Justin Chancellor on AEnima. I hope you enjoy your Paradriver!

3. Justins tone seems extremely bright yet dark.

And i bet you knly changed ur user name so i wouldnt notice when you decided to make a change to your damn pedal board again! HA... I CAUGHT YOU... and th only words i can say right now are....

I. TOLD. YOU. SO.

:D

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Actually this is a new board. I've decided that I like the fuzz/wah thing, but I want to try out a clean tone for a change.

I figure it's a new year (for me at least), so why not change a few things :D

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I'm just listening to Aenima and his tone is dark.

I think the brightness comes from a clean guitar playing with the bass, but I'm probably wrong :bag:

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey DH,
    It's funny, up to now I always thought your name was "IcedEarthWORM", and I wondered why you would call youself that!

7. for a dark tone i was told you need a dark bass. were talking black body black tuners black headstock black strings... we cant have anything not black! heck you need to paint your frets black!

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The WOM was for the song "Watching Over Me". It really just started to seem kinda re****ed. So I changed it. It's still corny, but at least it's not cryptic :D

I actually have a black bass! The fretboard is a darkish brown, which, when I was tuned BEAD I used DR Black Beauties, looked quite nice. The only unfortunate part is that I don't have a black bridge, tuners, nut, or frets :(

Right now the strings are D'Addario's, so they're all shiny and silver :( , but I'm doing a bunch of reajusting cus I decided to go back to EADG, so I'll wear them out soon enough...

BTW, whenever I get around to getting a 5 string I actually want it to be a darkish crimson (kinda like blood.....) [​IMG]

9. why have 2 boards?

Why not just create a pedal board of doom? \m/

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    cus 2 boards = bigger p***s! :ninja: :D didn't ya know?

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, the color may get you a mindset that it will be dark, but I think what you want is some mahogany and ebony on your bass ala Wal!