Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done(Review)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Melf, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    This is a fantastic cd. It's rife with everything you'd expect from dark tranquility-heavy, crunching guitar lines mixed with beautiful melodies. The drums are also done very tastefully. The bassist is near nonexistant, as usually happens with heavy metal bands like these:( There are keyboard/synth melodies as well, which is the main drive behind its mournful sound(IMO).
    I have to say that this is my new favorite cd. It's the only cd that I've ever heard in which I like every single track. Every track is quite dark and beautiful. Cookie monster lyrics, which usually detract from the music in my opinion, actually add to it in this case. My 3 absolute favorite tracks are The Treason Wall, Monochromatic Stains, and Cathode Ray Sunshine.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the band, it's of the Gothenburg genre. Think In Flames meets (older)Testament and you'll get somewhat of an idea of how it sounds.
    I have only one complaint with this CD. Dark Tranquility's music video for Monochromatic Stains was put on here as an added bonus. This is absolutely the worst music video I have ever seen. It looks like it was done with a home camera and props bought from your local Wal-Mart. Seriously. I couldn't even make out the general theme to it after watching it. It had something to do with angels who had toy wings. Blood was thrown in there too for some reason.
    However, since the video is an added bonus, I won't count it against my overall review of this CD. This is a must-have for Gothenburg lovers. Dark Tranquility is at their finest with Damage Done, their newest release. I give it 10/10.

-Nick

EDIT: Just a few touchups:)

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    That's funny, I just ordered this CD yesterday on ebay! I don't have any of their CDs yet so I bought this one on faith. I've liked In Flames for a couple of years and people always compare them to In Flames.

Thanks for the review melf! I'll post whether or not I agree with you in a couple of weeks.

BTW, I also ordered Nile - In their darkenend shrines and Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings/Alive in /Athens.

3. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Don't get your hopes up too much on Burnt Offerings, I think it was IE's worst album ever...:(

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Big blegh on the IE. The best IE album isn't even an IE album, it's that Demons and Wizards side project w/ Hansi from Blind Guardian on vocals.

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Originally posted by SMASH
    I haven't gotten any of their other albums as of yet. I've heard plenty of songs off them though; Kazaa was what convinced me to buy their album in the first place. I'm not too impressed with their very early work; it's not quite melodic enough for me--it has a more black/death vibe.

Side note-I think "The Sun Fired Blanks" is their absolute best song. (It's off Mind's I right?)

I'm glad you liked my review SMASH.:)

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :bassist: I really like the CD! I'm in to heavy melodic music in general and this CD delivers...I especially like track 6 (got it stuck in my head now). I agree with melf that all the tracks are consistently good. I love the vocals and the melodic guitars...but they don't get TOO melodic, just enough while still staying heavy. I'm going to look into their earlier albums soon.

7. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    What did you think of Burnt Offerings?

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Ok. You guys were right about that CD. It's just OK. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, which I don't mind so long as the singing is good. However, the vocals are just so-so on this. There are some good moments where the guitars and drums lock in to a good melody or groove (ala Maiden) but over all...wasn't too impressed. I like other stuff I've heard from Iced Earth so I asked a friend of mine to bring over some of his CD's when he comes to visit next week.

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Have to disagree with you Smash. The Nile CD I got (in their darkended shrines) is damn cool...but you have to really like death metal. The drumming is brutal!! Check out the drumming on track 2 if you ever come across it. I like the Egyptian theme too. They didn't over do it musically to make it sound like Spinal Tapp or anything...It makes the band rather unique.