Darker tone? does this mean...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by DougM, Jan 6, 2005.

1. DougM

Jan 1, 2005
    a deeper tone? If so i am going to get a set of obligato's right away.. if i can find them? anybody know where to find them? thanks
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It's a common string. If you live in a town with a string shop that has any bass stuff at all, they probably have a set.

If you want to order online, there are plenty of places. Bob G's , Lemur, Upton. to name just a very few.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Deeper than what? What are you using now?
  4. DougM

Jan 1, 2005
    I am using a german ply bass with super sensitive strings so i was told .. i am looking for that string that will bring out the best deep tone in my bass.. any info would help.. thanks
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There's no perfect answer really. Different strings dehave differently on different basses. That's why there are 4,706 string posts at this forum.

Obligatos are easy to play and produce a nice, strong fundamental. They are a great place to start.
  6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Orchestral-type strings will usually provide a deeper tone because they are loaded with dampening material which reduces overtones and brightness.
    However, this reduces sustain and clarity.
    Orchestral strings with a brighter tone are available.
    I'm thinking of Kolstein Varicores and Pirastro Permanents.
  7. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    DougM, I took the time to read a couple of your other posts. you say you want to play Bluegrass and Gospel? You mean, old-school 2-beat gospel? well, forget Obligatos, forget Spirocores, forget Jazzers, forget Flexocor and Flexocor original! you also said you didn't want to use a bow, so...

you want GUT or fake gut! i have just made this discovery in my own musical life. i'm borrowing an old Kay which has big fat fake gut nylon strings on it, it is loud and deep, has clarity but not more than enough, perfect for old-time musics. and they're easier on the fingers than steel. but above all, it's the SOUND and FEEL of bass.

the superflexibles, i've never tried. I have used obligatos, flexocors, flexocor original, spirocore, helicore, and La Bella. from you're other posts, it sounds like you're not looking for a "compromise" string or a hybrid. friends don't let friends buy the wrong string (obligatos). i'll try to find out what kind of fake gut strings i've got. i think they'd suit your music.

by the way, I'm really planning to spend the extra $$ to get some Pirastro guts, but that's b/c i wanna do some arco.

best wishes
    Dave P
  8. DougM

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks DP! what are some the brands of "fake gut" strings you are talking about? Thanks DOUG

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Check out Picato Innovations. They are a really nice sounding string. Quite gut like.
  10. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    hey again, Doug. did you get the Private Message I sent?

anyway, I think the strings on my borrowed Kay are La Bella Supernils. at least, everything I've read about those strings matches what I've got on my hands.

From what people say about these strings, they're not really highly regarded for sound, but they sound good on a nice old Kay playing old-school music... plus the strings on this Kay are 4 years old, very "settled". I must admit, though, the E and A sound better than the nylon-wrapped D and G. I bet real gut will be light-years ahead...

maybe it would be worth looking into true guts, or other synthetics, but the La Bellas are cheap...

PS I hope I didn't give anyone a bad vibe when I dismissed all those other strings... they're all beautiful in their own special ways...but they all seem to be off-target for Doug's professed needs/wants...I'll calm my rhetoric from now on...
    best wishes, Dave P
  11. DougM

Jan 1, 2005
    Just wanna thank you for taking the time to respong>> i just read your private message> thanks again DOUG
  12. Another thing about the nylons is that they give lots of percussive effects with all the snapping and popping against the fingerboard. Although I personally despise it, some bluegrass folk really like that boom-chicky boom-chicky boom-chicky stuff.