1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkest sounding stainless steel strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Oct 15, 2017.

1. So I like the sound and feel of very worn in stainless steel roundwounds. Haven’t tried many in recent years, last set was blue steels and it took over two months to season them. Any others?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Have you considered pressurewounds or even flatwounds?

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    DR lo-riders are my guess, but that's a pretty tough item nail. SS strings are going to be bright no matter what. It's just a matter of which ones "wear" the fastest. I've played a lot of SS strings, and I felt the DR low riders were the least "zingy", but still sounded awesome.

eriky4003 likes this.
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Also try labella stainless (used to be called hard rockin steel). To me they are very un-steel-like. Feel great. Not too pingy. Age well and last long time with decent mids for steel.

Pbassmanca and Stefan Verbeeck like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

ditto on SS flats:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk9nDLj_3Ya-S3L1HyuWUkF8XFFaWUpDBivccRBYEh1Et51Wa8LM8TmumcxQ&usqp=CAE.jpg

6. Been using mostly flats for years and did try pw’s but looking for something a little more aligned with real roundwounds

7. My main jam for the better part of a decade

Pbassmanca and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. Will be putting DR low riders and labella on the list, thank you

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    DR DDT's and Kaliums are both darker sounding stainless steel strings, DDT's I think are much darker than the Lo Riders.

scuzzy likes this.
  10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Agree. Love my DDT's. They are darker than most SS.

11. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Yeah, low riders are definitely a bit darker than some others. And DRs have good balance to the feel, from string to string.

Rotosound makes a steel pressurewound, called the solo bass 55. They are pretty much less zingy swing bass 66. And SB66 get nice and dark, over time. I bet the solo55 are great.

12. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I just came across these the other day at the store. Not sure what the tone is like but they are SS....
    20171017_173131.jpg

13. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    Flats may be what you're looking for. Otherwise pure nickel wounds may serve the goal. Lowering the pickups may also help achieving the tone you're after.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021