Darkglass Adam

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrishi87, Dec 8, 2020.

1. CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond

Dec 10, 2018
    Is there any way to save presets D,E,F without MIDI?

2. Depends on what you're going for. I think what Derek meant to say with that is that Blend fully CW is the closest to your bypassed clean tone, if not exactly that (with EQ & comp flat, distortion off,etc.). If you find somewhere in the middle that works for you, that's great too!

3. Rogerisaatio

Rogerisaatio

Mar 9, 2017
    How has been your user experiences when using the unit as audio interface? Out of curiosity, I unplugged my Focusrite and checked how ADAM functions as an audio interface. Here are some observations I made:
    -In Reaper and Guitar Pro, I had to manually adjust the buffer as in default mode the sound was very distorted
    -Spotify and Guitar Pro started crashing when using the unit
    -In Reaper, the recorded audio had significant distortion although the input levels to Reaper were peaking at -20 dB

I didn't have the patience to start trouble shooting too much, this might be also a problem related to my computer (windows) or faulty unit / some missing drivers (used ASIO drivers and ADAM updated though). However, I have never had any problems with Focusrite.

4. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    I have an DG Alpha Omega 900 amp. I am very interested in using the ADAM in front of the amp. However, the ADAM only has DI or balanced 1/4” outputs and the amp only has 1/4” standard input. I haven’t found anything in this thread or either manual on how to do what I want. As far as I know, other DG pedals and preamps have unbalanced output option. Any ideas?

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Balanced 1/4" outputs are basically equivalent to an unbalanced out when you plug a mono cable into them, making them balanced just increases the utilities available when using the pedal as an interface

_Obra_ likes this.
  6. I'm loving my ADAM, but I have one gripe. I'm struggling with the cabsims. All of the preloaded ones sound like they have a pillow over them. They suck all the high-end out of the and I can't seem to dial back in in a way that sounds good. I mostly end up going without cabsim at all.

Even the Scoopy Doo one which is scooped. That's a little unexpected. Even the Forrester Bitey that Jacob Umansky uses a lot with his X Ultra, and he has a very bright and alive tone. But that same cabsim sounds like someone threw a comforter over the speaker on the ADAM even without any distortion dialed in. I don't know about anybody else, but all the rigs I play through allow the full range of the bass to come through and do not sound anything like these cabsims.

What have you been doing? What cabsims work for you?

sneauxman and monsterthompson like this.
  7. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I have some cab IR’s from Dr Bonkers, Redwirez and ownhammer. I’m going to spend sometime and see what that does. Also might run the ADAM through my two notes CABM+ just to see what that sounds like.

Scott McArron likes this.
  8. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    Good point Sunbeast! I’m a little concerned because I’ve read different perspectives on the topic.

Check out this paragraph below regarding balanced output to unbalanced input. It could be ok but there are definitely some precautions. I’ve emailed Darkglass but haven’t heard back yet.

2) So your output device has balanced outputs and you are connecting to the input of another device with unbalanced inputs. Much of how to achieve this connection depends largely on the device's output circuit design. Diving into the many different output circuit topologies would get a little too technical, and not the intended purpose of this article. In many cases, interconnecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input will work just fine - your signal will be unbalanced. However, with this method there are cases in which the user could experience high levels of (unwanted) distortion, and in the extreme cases, the output device could be damaged by plugging in a standard unbalanced cable. Simply said: Read the manual! Or call the manufacturer of the device and ask the people who made it! Or call us! Let us do the research for you.”

DataPro's Guide to Unbalanced vs Balanced Audio

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  9. Did you check the Adam manual? Page 3 and 4 says it’s fine.

AccessAllAreas likes this.
  10. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    I overlooked it. Thanks Derek and again to Sunbeast!

At the top of page four of the ADAM manual it says, “Connect your studio monitors, amplifier or other effects to the 1/4” balanced jacks using a TRS connector (Tip +, Ring -, Sleeve GND). If you feed an unbalanced input from these outputs, use an instrument cable with a mono 1/4” plug.”

sunbeast and Derek Williams like this.
  11. anthony w Jaber

anthony w Jaber

Aug 23, 2019
    I noticed that also with there 2x12 cabs they sound okay but yeah agreed with you. I wish they had better sounding ones out there I only got two ways around this in my point of view if you have a favorite ir use it with this a lot of people like the own hammer stuff it depends on the cab you like there a million out there the other way that I found works good is if you start flat and find a stock cab that already gets you close then eq to finish. To be honest I use the bass chops vol1 Mesa 2x12dyn cab and haven’t looked back since.

12. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Hey all,

I have had a really cool breakthrough with the ADAM pedal and the Source Audio EQ2. These two pedals are a match made in heaven!

The EQ2 has two separate channels and the ADAM is able to be configured now to send different things with it's outputs the biggest being Clean/Cabsim Bypassed.

This is powerful because there is a way of sending the normal output from the ADAM aswell as a clean Output to the EQ2 and use the EQ to split the Frequencies into a clean bass channel and a distorted higher channel. This gives an advantage to dialling in a huge bass tone and is basically what the ADAM does within itself as a standalone but in a much more controllable and powerful way. Having that clean, uneffected bass mixed with the effected highend gives a massive amount of clarity and helps to prevent muddy bass and low mids.

The EQ2 is not the only way to do all of this but because it is small, midi programmable and easy to find and has a number of other features that are hugely useful like noise gate and limiter it is something I really thought was worth sharing. I have had mine for months and didn't realise that it could do all of this until this week! Huge surprise.

I will say though that this is deep diving into the EQ2 and it isnt the easiest (nor am I an expert) on dialling in this stuff. I think I am going to make a video of how to do all of this over easter if anyone is interested?

Cheers, hit me up in PM for any more info.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  13. anthony w Jaber

anthony w Jaber

Aug 23, 2019
    Very interesting! I like to see this. I’m getting the Adam in the mail this weekend and going to attempt to use it with the hx stomp together and see what I can get the most out of it I haven’t decided how it’s going to be laid out yet but I do plan on really digging deep with these two units together

madmaskbass likes this.
  14. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    Hey madmaskbass, excellent suggestion. Thank you for sharing! I plan on trying this out. If I understand what you're saying, you are using the SA EQ2 as mixer of sorts to blend the clean and distorted outputs from the ADAM. Is that correct?

madmaskbass likes this.
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    now if the input only was stereo for two separate signals going IN to the Adam as well.

madmaskbass likes this.
  16. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    That would be nice. I’ll add an effects loop to the wish list. :D

MikeBass likes this.
  17. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Yes it is that but so much more.
    Where it becomes really powerful is to use the clean channel as the uneffected bass and low mids only signal and using the eq to cut all the rest. Then using the distorted signal in the higher frequencies only and cutting out all the bass in the eq.

Having clean bass that isnt distorted stacked with the distorted highs and the ability to blend them is the ultimate in tone shaping IMO and is what happens in the studio anyway.

18. anthony w Jaber

anthony w Jaber

Aug 23, 2019
    Now that I own the Adam i really don’t like the cab sim on the unit at all it’s very dark and dull sounding every cab sim really sounds like a blanket is over it even my own cab impulses I really hope darkglass fixes that in a future update. What really worked for me was adding this to the hx stomp I put my own cab impulse into the stomp and it came to live more it sounded more clear and brighter than it did before. I also added a eq block and added more hi mids and bass to the unit and it really sings more than it ever did. It sounds so good just with a touch of eq and using the ir on the stomp cuts through the mix so well not even trying which is beautiful these two together really makes everything come to life the drives sound way brighter in a good way also if you are looking to do this try this pedal into the effect loop of the stomp and give it a try you won’t regret it at all. F67FAC53-7EFF-4D86-9ED3-F3FACEE3E6C6.jpeg

AccessAllAreas likes this.
  19. Same experience on cab sims. My favorite cab sims that work well with other units (eg. Forrester Bitey with X Ultra) sound like a blanket over the cab with the ADAM. I hope this is something that can be "fixed" or optimized with future updates. Even if I boost the upper mids and treble it still sounds like there's something covering the sound, makes it sound like the bass is in the background, if that makes sense.

At the moment, I can't use any cab sim with this. I don't know what's different about the ADAM. All of the cab sims have the same tone-sucking result no matter how great they sound with other DG pedals. It's very frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  20. anthony w Jaber

anthony w Jaber

Aug 23, 2019
    I agree with you the tone suck with this pedal really is a turn off the pedal it’s self is extremely good but the cab sim just doesn’t work well at all I know darkglass reads this kind of stuff and hopefully they fix the cab sim and maybe give us a more flexible eq if not the next best thing they come out with I’ll probably buy and sell this. I own the 500 v2 and it sounds so good compared to this not to say this is the worst pedal because just with a bit of eq and using a different cab sim this sounds really good and literally studio ready.

monsterthompson likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021