Darkglass Adam

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrishi87, Dec 8, 2020.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That’s pretty odd to see false info from Strymon. The grounding connection on a guitar bridge is to ground you- humans are like big meat antennas for EMI that we then induce into the coils of the pickups (think about it- if people were grounded already we would be getting shocked constantly!). Usually the issue with headphone amps is that the bridge grounding will no longer work to cancel hum because there is no longer a ground connection made through the amplifier ground prong. If the buzz goes away when touching strings then the bridge ground is working as intended!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. ah, you aren’t connected to an amp at all when using headphones? In that case could be a lack of ground. Human bodies and whatever they are sitting/standing on are usually not a great ground connection though, which is actually a good thing around electronics.

3. Z3P0

Z3P0

Mar 5, 2021
    Correct, not when using as a portable practice device. :cool:

4. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    I have nothing useful to add but was just browsing the thread and this is the first thing I saw :D I think you win the internet for the day. Carry on!

seedokebass and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Does signal goes to mute mode when tuner is engaged?

6. Yes

_Obra_ likes this.
  7. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Goratory-sour grapes out now!!

Aug 13, 2009
    Just got or but I can’t power it with my 9v power supply. Would a one spot work or am I going to have to order something? I’m just using the pedal by itself

8. A One Spot should work great, as long as you don’t daisy chain it. Can get a lot of noise from digital pedals with a daisy chain.

9. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Hi,
    Just got my Adam and experienced some problems out of the box :(.
    First it wouldn't connect with my Windows 10, and after 3 frustrating hours of trying to solve the possible drivers and usb problems, it comes to faulty usb cable that came with device.

Second thing is that when I finally started playing through it on a headphones since it was late at night, the headphones volume pot from the back started acting weird.
    I mean is it meant to be touch sensitive from some reason? Sometimes it's not working at all, and then I touch it, and it starts to be ultra loud. Turning it +/- sometimes work and sometimes not. Then on a light touch it starts to work for a few seconds.

I must say I am a pretty disappointed considering how long do I waited for it to come from Germany.
    Now I'm in a dilemma what to do, to return it or not...

10. If you like the pedal, and an exchange from the retailer is too much of a hassle, it might be worth contacting Darkglass support about the headphone volume acting up.

11. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Thanks Derek.
    I like the device and just wrote to the Darkglass. Hope they can found what is wrong with it, but honestly, don't se how it can happen :(.
    It looks like headphones volume pot is buggy.

So sad about it...I sold my perfectly good Vintage Ultra V2 in order to change it for Adam on my pedalboard.

12. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Subbed.

13. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    It's already on its way to the store and then back to Darkglass.

14. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Any updates on whether there will be an option to add an effects loop (such as via aux in?) Would be nice to get some reverb and modulation between drive and cab and/or for headphone out.

Not sure how much resources they have available given the Quad Cortex stuff though.

stelios82k likes this.
  15. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I thought they're different companies. Just same founder.

Scott McArron likes this.
  16. This is something I am interested too and the only reason of not buying ADAM so far. I want to use an Eventide Blackhole and a Source Audio Nemesis but I want to use the Di and the cab sim function so putting Adam last in chain (considering I want to use the comp and DI too) won't be ideal.

17. The last I heard from Darkglass (I think it was on Reddit) was that due to the way the I/O is wired it wouldn’t be possible to have an effects loop.

stelios82k likes this.
  18. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Damn, that really sucks. Limits the usefulness of the pedal as it takes care of the comp and gain side of things so well but doesn't play well with time- and modulation-based effects I'd want post-gain.

neonrich likes this.
  19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They already make it, it's the Vintage Ultra. Used as a straight pre it does a great B-15, kick in the drive and it's a very good SVT. It replaced a Amptweaker tightdrive and and a VT bass for me and does both better. Sadly, none of their demo's show this. They seem to think that every demo has to have Sweedish Speed metal player. :D

A budy bought his over to actually let me check out his Noble Pre. I was more impressed with Darkglass for what I wanted. Roll off the treble, turn the drive up about 1/2 way and it does Vintage Ampeg real well.

hbabels likes this.
  20. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agree their the vintage ultra does this really well also the Alpha Omega turn the drive & blend lower and it really does a great pushed tube amp / vintagey type tones

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021