Darkglass Alpha Omega 900 and Darkglass B7K

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JaredF, Oct 5, 2020.

1. I was wondering since I own the Darkglass Alpha Omega 900 bass head and the Darkglass Microtubes B7K preamp pedal if it is pointless to use both at the same time? I figure there 2 different distortions so it would be good to have a variety of distortions at my disposal. I also own the Darkglass Hyper Luminal Bass Compressor and since the Alpha Omega Has a built in Compressor on the head is my pedal now pointless to use? Some advice please!

2. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not pointless at all!

The Hyper Luminal has more compression settings which will affect the tone in various ways. You might find the compressor on the AO suitable for your needs but it never hurts to have more options.

With the B7K you should be able to run it either in front of or in the effects loop of the AO. This gives you a lot of different tone shaping options and you can use both stand-alone as well. Going from your bass into the B7K and then into the effects return will essentially give you a 900W B7K "amp" because you'll bypass the preamp on the AO.

Get a rat's nest of cables going and experiment!

3. Hey man thank you so much for the info I could not find anything on this and I just received my AO 900 head yesturday and have not been able to try it because my lovely wife was home and I promised her no more gear after I bought my Dingwall ng3 lol.but anyways I searched everywhere for something on this and even tried contacting Darkglass through email and received no response. But my impression at first was instead of buying the microtubes 900 and basically having the same head as the preamp that I would just buy the Alpha Omega 900 and have so many Distortion options and tonal options.im going to try some of the things you said and see what works best..I have another question for you...I have a markbass 2x10 traveler cabinet to go with the darkglass but I was wondering if you ever tried darkglass cabinets or own any and it there would be a big difference in sound with a darkglass cab instead of a markbass?thanks for your input bro!

pravus likes this.
  4. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nice on the Dingwall purchase. I'm buying all of my gear before I get a wife. :)

I don't have experience with either of these cabinets but I would image it will sound fine. Both are high quality gear. Since the AO is 900W just be cautious with the volume levels and if you hear a very distorted sound (commonly called "farting out") you'll want to turn it down. You can use high powered amps with virtually any cabinet but if you overdrive them you can permanently damage the cones or the voice coils.

JaredF likes this.