1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass alpha omega issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wallsb21, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    I recently just got the alpha omega and it has the active 3 band eq so does my bass and my amp and the pedal is too hot what could I do to tone down all the activeness. I use a Scherer stealth with passive emg pickups with an active emg preamp and gk mb15 with an active 4 band eq. Thanks for any help

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not sure why you'd want to tame your beast of a setup but probably the best options would be to tweak your onboard EQ's (does your onboard pre have an internal trimpot?) or simply pick up a good 'n cheap used P bass from the classifieds.

Matt Dean and kat888 like this.
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Keep you bass's preamp set flat, or below flat. Turn down your volume knob. If possible, run the bass in passive mode.!

kat888 likes this.
  4. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    Unfortunately I can't turn it to passive, I was also thinking of turning off the contour button on the amp which should help dial it back a bit

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's not so much what's coming out of or going into your amp, but what's coming out of your bass and into your pedal. You need to dial back the active EQ on your bass or the output volume all together and send the pedal a signal that isn't as hot. Boosting your bass's EQ will do that. Still though, lots of folks use the DG stuff with super hot basses so it could be an issue with the pedal, but probably more likely you need to use your bass's EQ subtractively.

willsellout likes this.
  6. Yeah those EMG preamps run hot and Im guessing you have it boosted based on what you are describing. I'd put everything on your bass flat and start there.

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    You might want to change the title because this doesn't sound like an issue with the AO.

It's more of a rig capability issue.

The easiest solution is of course to keep the bass tone controls flat and turn down the volume on your bass.

If you insist on diming the knobs on your bass then perhaps some sort of volume pedal between you bass and AO would help.

8. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    My preamp on the bass isn't boosted at all really bass and treble slightly pass flat and mids slightly below flat, I'll try turning the volume of the bass down

9. Kartofell

Kartofell

May 1, 2017
    I have the same problem. I'm using an active Fender american precision (bass EQ flat), and if I want to get a bit 'cleaner' sound from my Alpha Omega (turning the drive down and even with both toggle switches off) it just sounds really bad. I don't mind a bit of dirt in my 'clean' sound (like on my B7K that cleans up really well), but what's happening here sounds really strange. It sounds like a separate layer of crackling farty noise placed over my clean tone (which disappears after a few seconds) – it sounds exactly as if my cab speakers were broken – as if the paper cone membrane of the speaker is torn, and it's making that typical farty noise. And that's on both, Alpha and Omega side. I know I can blend in more clean sound with turning the blend knob counter-clockwise, but the farty noise persist (it just gets more quiet) and if I want to completely remove it, I must turn the blend knob down so much, that the punchy character of the circuit (that I love so much) is also gone, and that's not what I want. Have you found any solution for this? An active/passive switch on A-O pedal would be great.

10. Then is why I no longer use active basses. Nothing wrong with them when not using effects. But, I have found passive basses work better with effects.

(Ducks for cover...)