1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Alpha Omega/Omicron. How Does It Differ From B3k/B7k/Ultra?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm guessing that these two types of pedals are not duplicating each other; are they significantly different? And how?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Based on my understanding of the pedals and listening to the demos (I'm a B7KU owner, never played an A/O), I would say this: B#K is more of an overdrive/preamp capable of mid-gain distortion. The A/O is more of an actual distortion that gets into higher-gain territory. The voicings are not the same even though they have some similarities.

bass nitro and Hi-End Basses like this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've owned the B7K and B7K Ultra for awhile now, and owned an Alpha Omega for a few months. You are correct: these pedals do not duplicate each other, and are significantly different despite some similarities. For me, the biggest difference is the texture of the distortion. The B7K (and Vintage pedals) are a bit smoother, the AO (both sides) is more ragged (in a good way). If I were playing super-heavy metal then I'd likely prefer the AO, but the B7K/B7KU have been perfect for me for everything from classic Zeppelin, Priest, Maiden, Van Halen to Metallica, Alice in Chains to Nickelback, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Seether, early RATM. When I need more coarseness I stack B7K with another pedal: Damnation Audio MBD-1, Darkglass Vintage, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the AO is really great. The ability to go from A to O and all points in between provides loads of versatility in one pedal. Other users love how the AO behaves at lower Drive settings. The AO worked well for me, but I didn't love it as much as either B7K or Vintage, so I traded it.

And... of course I'm not saying that "B7K is better" or "AO won't work" for any of the bands I mentioned. Just saying that the voicing and texture of the B7K is perfect for me: it's been my #1 rock pedal since I got it.

DrMole, Darkglass and Hi-End Basses like this.