1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra vs BK7 Ultra V2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lavaman67, Mar 20, 2018.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I think I have it down to the A-O Ultra and the new BK7 Ultra V2. Let me start by saying that I really don't care for that Nu metal sound, so maybe neither of these is the right choice? I want something that is going to give me versatility, but leans more towards the smoother vintage overdrives and not the harsh distortions, that IMO, compete with the guitar and cymbal frequencies. It's hard for me to discern a lot of these nuances in the video demos because everyone seems to be using 5 string Dingwalls, MTD, Modulus or other more modern sounding basses, but I'm simply a P Bass and Mustang guy. I am usually playing flats, and running it through a '76 SVT and Bergantino NV610. I don't know if you can point me to a P Bass demo that compares these two, but your input would be appreciated too. I may have to buy both and give them a test period to be certain. Patrick Hunter's demo is about as close as I can find to my style of playing, but it's just the AOU:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I think you'd be much happier with the AO. There's really nothing smooth about the B7K. AO can get pretty warm by comparison. I've owned both circuits, miles happier with the AO sound.

May be worth comparing the Vintage vs AO?

lavaman67 likes this.
  3. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    May be worth comparing the Vintage vs AO?[/QUOTE]

The only reason I am not comparing the Vintage is because I am really intrigued by the cab sim in the AOU.

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    For your style of the playing the AOU is absolutely what you want :thumbsup:

rugrat and dukeorock like this.
  5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I just brought both the AOU and the B7K U home to check out. I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP but I use both passive 4-string basses and 5-strings w/active electronics.

I would be interested to hear feedback from anyone that's actually done a side by side bake off of these two.
    Thanks...

6. jonlimo

jonlimo

Jul 20, 2015
    Singapore
    I can only speak for the b7k ultra v1, but to be honest, with all the switches and eq controls, it's stupid versatile. You could make it sound like a warm, woolly, tubescreameresque drive easily. You just have to tweak the controls. Most youtube videos don't demonstrate this well.

One thing i've found to be really important with the b7k is to tweak it with your ears and not eyes. It's not unusual to have extreme eq knob settings due to different grunt and attack switch positions.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    B7K (well, I use a B3K anyway) for a standard always on sound, AO for a heavier distortion, for me at least.

The reason I like the B*K is precisely because it does not battle the guitars and cymbals. It seems to cut and boost in precisely the right places to make my bass fit into a full band mix with barely any EQ. Not a nu-metal band either, more like a classic rock sound. I didn't like it until I tried it in a mix anyway, so bear that in mind before judging what it sounds like soloed!

It does match better with certain basses though. Slays with a Jazz or PJ (or Yamaha BB in my case). I didn't like it with a soloed P pickup for example, and preferred the Alpha Omega with a Precision.

Catalin and Darkglass like this.
  8. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    Anyone have a effects based pedal board or use multiple effects? I have Future impact (synth),Chunk Brown Dog (fuzz), 007 agent funk envelop filter, Team Awesome Fuzz does anyone have a issue running effects into the Darkglass.

I am using a Radial DI box at the end of my pedalbaord chain and I send the XLR to FOH and run the 1/4 to my amp and use it a a stage monitor. I would replace the Radial with the darkglass so I would want to run it after my pedals so I would not want it to effect the tones/effects too much, but I have been reading some people don't like it at the end of a chain they prefer it at the beginning? Just looking for your thoughts from people who own the pedal before I drop $500 on it.

I play more classic rock style in a three piece band and I play with a pick mostly, my main bass is a Fender Jazz and back up is a Fender P Bass with flats.

9. JC266

JC266

Jan 24, 2018
    Ontario

So I use a Cry baby bass wah, and a Source Audio After Shock Distortion, I run these into my DK AOU and it sounds amazing, I have never had any issues with clipping or getting lost among the guitars.

10. FLV

FLV

Sep 14, 2013
    So did the OP @lavaman67 or @fishtx find the right preamp? I'm thinking about getting one of these myself. So far I've been using a crossover pedal and now I'm looking into something more middy.

11. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013

great, does the Darkglass help to compress/balance the signal from dirt pedals at all?
    I am using a Keeley Basiest comp after my dirt/filters to help avoid volume losses or spikes. Would I still need it before the Darkglass?